PDA

View Full Version : Powder Brown Tang showing sign of Ich

fahadahmed
12/31/2007, 10:52 PM
My powder brown is showing some sign of Ich. What can I do mitigate the problem?

I do water changes weekly 5% and monthly siphon the sand. The water level look good. and I have 100lbs of LR.

I do not have a QT tank yet. I bought it from a reputable LFS about 3 weeks ago.

rlcline76
01/01/2008, 03:16 PM
You can get ich-y fish from reputable LFS.
Any treatments will need to be done in a QT. The only thing you can do in the display tank is feed the fish well. No meds in there...and anything that claims to be a reef safe med probably wouldn't be strong enough to help your tang.
You might have to go the dramatic route of getting the QT and leaving your display tank fallow for 6 weeks to make sure you are not looking at a good outbreak again. QT, definitely.

fahadahmed
01/01/2008, 04:40 PM
I have been told that I am wrong before so don't hesistate to tell me that again.

I used to have a QT tank with almost same parameter as my display tank minus the salinity and added cooper. I thought I was adding more stress by doing the transfer. I would cure the fish for 2 weeks and then add them to my display tank and fish would get stressed from the transfer (i think). So, I dumped the idea of QT and sold the entire 30g setup for $100.

Rick55555
01/01/2008, 08:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11499490#post11499490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fahadahmed
I have been told that I am wrong before so don't hesistate to tell me that again.

I used to have a QT tank with almost same parameter as my display tank minus the salinity and added cooper. I thought I was adding more stress by doing the transfer. I would cure the fish for 2 weeks and then add them to my display tank and fish would get stressed from the transfer (i think). So, I dumped the idea of QT and sold the entire 30g setup for $100.

In my opinion, it is essential to place livestock with ich into a QT tank where they can be treated with copper. While the fish generally endures two weeks of copper treatment in the QT, the display runs fallow (without fish) for approximately 4-8 weeks for the ich to live out its live cycle/die off.

An alternative would be to try hyposalinity, increased temperature and biological cleaners (e.g. cleaner shrimp, neon/cleaner gobies). However, I've found these alternatives to be more supplemental than solutions themselves.

Rick