PDA

View Full Version : How can I add more sand?

Fishie Nut
01/01/2008, 01:03 PM
I'd like to add sand to my reef. My thoughts were to just add a small amount on one side, wait a week, say, and add a small amount to the other side, wait a week... until I had what I wanted.

Right now I have a nice amount in the center of the tank, but on the sides the sandbed is rather thin, so I'd like to increase it.

Any suggestions? I don't want to disturb the sandbed that is functioning well nor do damage to my live reef.

Thanks.

BangkokMatt
01/01/2008, 01:28 PM
You can add 1 cup per day no problem.

rigleautomotive
01/01/2008, 01:35 PM
you can fill a cup with rinsed or live sand and slowly lower it to the bottom then tip it slowly to pour it in place.

Lunchbucket
01/01/2008, 01:50 PM
I have used a PVC pipe that will reach the bottom and then pour the sand down that so you can place it better. Then you won't get quite a huge cloud of dust either.

Lunchbucket

Fishie Nut
01/01/2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks. I was concerned about the amount I could add so as not to disturb the sandbed. A cup sounds small enough. I can add a cup on one side, then the other, et seq.

Just sprinkle it around on the side of the tank, right? Through a pipe would enable me to spread it around without too much of a cloud.

Thanks again. G