PDA

View Full Version : Majano Aiptasia

ericgreathouse
01/01/2008, 03:40 PM
Anyone had luck getting rid of these? I'm starting to have a serious problem with them taking over my tank.

Here's what I've tried:
Joe's Juice
Injecting with Calcium
I just got 3 peppermint shrimp

If I take all of the livestock out of my tank, turn off the lights and don't provide any food, will they eventually die?

NCguy
01/01/2008, 03:52 PM
Give the peppermint shrimp some time.I've had good luck with them but some people dont. Try to cut back on the feeding and it might help the shrimp decide to eat them.

mterrace
01/01/2008, 04:01 PM
I put 4 peppermint shrimp in my 90 and they took care of the Aiptasia that I had - took a couple of weeks....but they worked at it and got rid of them.

I had tried Joe's Juice - and that only worked on a couple...

Roy G. Biv
01/01/2008, 04:01 PM
Let the pepermint shrimp starve if possible to have any luck with them.
Personally I boiled a pot of water and injected each one with boiling water. *poof* Dead.

erikages
01/01/2008, 04:17 PM
I've had terrific luck with Joe's Juice. Gently feed them at first until they close (rather than slam shut), then inject a bit more if you can.

They may not completely die with one application. If they manage to expand into normal feeding mode a day or two after first dose, feed them well again. In my experience, that'll do it. They shrink and die.

Cheers, and good luck.

rmw4547
01/01/2008, 04:30 PM
Someone posted this and it has worked for me. Take one part kalk to 2 parts ro/di water mix and heat in microwave. It seems to stick to them and kills them fast. I used an injector that was made for injecting chicken. I even hit one that was right at the bade of an SPS with no damage to it.

smmscott
01/01/2008, 05:25 PM
The key is to get the joes juice into the anemone. Hoping that they will eat the juice isn't good enough. A syringe works wonders.

mflamb
01/01/2008, 06:24 PM
I mix kalk into a thick paste and stick a glob of it right on top of it.

reefCrawler
01/02/2008, 01:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11500133#post11500133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mflamb
I mix kalk into a thick paste and stick a glob of it right on top of it.

it works, but aptasia comes back later, my pepper shrimps don't eat the large ones, but take care all the small aptasia. kalk + peppermint works wonder.

MN. Reef crzy
01/02/2008, 06:45 AM
inject them with kalk paste and than they will release and fall off hopefully and than remove them. It seems to always work for me.

Boca Kris
01/02/2008, 03:34 PM
I used boiling lemon juice, injected it right into the base (so its harded for it to retreat). Use a regular hypodermic needle from the pharmicist. It has worked 100% of the time for me, and had never given me any problems with any of my parameters.

Hope that helps!

Purple Penguins
01/02/2008, 04:58 PM
are they Majano or are they Aiptasia? if Majano you would need to use other methods than if it were Aiptasia, for Majanos you either have to pick them off or paste them in or cover them with a kalk, if its Aiptasia, joes juice, pepermint shrimp, copperband butterfly, but they are not the same thing and what works for Aiptasia usually doesnt for Majanos

kc9dre
01/02/2008, 05:48 PM
I had just one, never spread and never moved... I just got tired of fighting with it so I took the rock it was on out of the tank....

george81
01/03/2008, 01:08 AM
if you re having a problem with aptasia then get these
http://www.coralscaping.com/berghia_1.html
Berghia Nudibranchs

if you re having problems with manjo...like i had...it spread all over a nice piece of rock...i took the rock out and stabbed the manjo with a screwdriver over and over..put the rock in fresh water.....they all died...seems barbaric but it rid me of the pests.

kwaters
01/03/2008, 01:18 AM
Oh the majano battle. Definitely different from the aiptasia. Thick kalk hasn't't work for me yet. If I can, I pull the rock out and dig them off. They will squirt when attacked so watch out! If the gametes get back on the rock, you will have 5 more! One nice thing, they are fairly slow at reproducing/multiplying, and much easier to kill when bigger.

Have fun.

K' Family Reef
01/03/2008, 02:06 AM
are you saying you have both majano and aiptasia???

just be sure you know the difference
bec the approach is not the same in eliminating these pests...

nor is the ((( threat ))) the same either.

aiptasia = throw in several peppermints
use joes juice or any one of the other remedies

if majanos
might take a look at the following link where veteran reefers either ended up tearing down their entire systems and had to start over (due to these pests) or they couldnt get them under control.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1202166&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

the thread shows pics of majanos literally in every crevice in the tank

my recom if you are dealing w/ majanos -
handle them very carefully... research this and proceed w/ caution. and dont carelessly try to remove them unless you know what you are doing ahead of time.

after several efforts at removing them -
ended up bleaching about 40# of LR - unfortunate to have done this but imo it is the best solution...

dont listen to anyone who acts like they are not a big deal or are easy to remove...