PDA

View Full Version : Changing crushed coral to live sand

auntynatal
01/01/2008, 04:29 PM
My tank has been set up for about 10 months now, trouble is, when I set it up I had no idea what I was doing really, and through reading here and otherplaces, I figured out a little too late that I should have really used live sand rather than crushed coral.

i decided that in 2008 I owuld make it my mission to change over, but I have no idea how I am going to keep everything else alive while I do so. I am presuming that I will need a second tank set up to remove all the livestock ( 3 fish, 5 shrimps, 3 snails and 6 crabs) but what about the corals? Can I just move them about and start removing the coral bit by bit or will they be affected when the sand goes in? will I have to let the tank fully recycle or will I be able to put the livestock back in after a few days? How stressed will my livestock become?

How I wish I had used sand from the start. One of my xenias has spread up a rock, if I have to remove it and it tears away from its original coral will it die or will it stay alive? I am truly dreading it but I know in my heart of hearts it has to be done :(

All advice very welcome!

Cope
01/01/2008, 04:44 PM
@ two weeks ago I changed over a tank that had been running for 6 years, The hospital tank is a great idea. I did not loose any fish.
I used the net to scoop out the CC and carbon and amquill to control any spikes. worked good for me. I did not remove all the cc just the majority of it. I then started to add the sand on top if it. Over the two week period I have added 50 LBS of sand and the tank is looking great.

reeferman00
01/01/2008, 04:46 PM
id move everything to another tank replace the sand wait a day or 2 then test ur params and begin replacing. the xenia should be fine. when you frag them they are ripped and cut in half but they still live

coope81
01/01/2008, 05:00 PM
This is what i did as i made the same mistake when i started out.
Get some smaller containers or smaller tanks big enough to hold your tanks contents and a small container for your fish and cleanup crew.
First thing in the morning before your lights come on syphon some water into the tanks or containers, keeping the room heated or add 1 heater and 1 powerhead to each container then switch you tanks contents over and try to keep everything in its own container (eg live rock in one and coral in another) keep as much original water as you can and do not stir up you old sand bed as this can release unwanted detrius into your water.
Remove all your old sand then fill back up with as much original water as posible then top it up with fresh salt mix then i would add just your live rock then you new live sand and leave to settle overnight.
The next day when its all settled and up to temp finalise your aquascape not stiring it back up then add your coral then cuc and fish.
Job Done!