PDA

View Full Version : what are clownfish capable of? naughty fish?

Chad Vossen
01/02/2008, 12:05 PM
i have only a pair of false percs in my 20 long. when the lights are on, they tend to stay in their cave or close to it (i assume they dont like the 175W halide over their head). when the lights are off they will go around the rest of the tank until it is dark enough to sleep.

i have watched the clownfish bite at snails and my cleaner shrimp when they are to close to their cave. and any loose frags or small rocks in the tank tend to get knocked over or detached.

well this morning, my micromussa colony had a big purple blob of slime on it. i quickly took the pipette and blew water at it to remove the slime. at first i thought some of my polyps died in the night and had the "brown jelly" disease. but after getting the slime off, the polyps under were fine and had their stomach exposed. after some more investigation i noticed my purple mushroom (my largest) was missing and i was able to identify the blob of slime as the remains of the mushroom. this purple mushroom was attached to a rock and the base of the mushroom was still attached.

i think that the mushroom either detatched and was unlucky enough to land on the micromussa, or my clownfish had something to do with it (as they are usually the guilty ones).

id just like to know if clownfish are known to do this kind of thing or if the mushroom detached on its own.