PDA

View Full Version : diy ca reactor

jeffgp
01/03/2008, 08:16 AM
after a long look at the coralife that i have .. im not happy with it ..
mt kalk reactor was not the tuff to build so il looking to build a ca reactor ..
i have plans from a smaller deltec but looking to just up scale it
the reactor im thinking will be 6x15 ..

so the question is the rec.pump how much pressure do you need to ahve in the reactor ..
or better yet what pump would be good ...
will a small mag2 work or do i need something larger ..

looking to keep cost to a min.

hllywd
01/03/2008, 08:52 AM
With a 6" body a Mag2 won't be close. My AquaC Urchin Pro uses a Mag3 and I think is underpowered.
I also use a stock ASM G2 with a Sedra 3000, the G2 has a 6.5" body and is under powered without mods. I think (IME) you need to go to the Sedra 3000 - 5000 range and then with some mods (recirc and mesh) if you use the 3000 to build something that size that is effective.

HTH,
Tim:cool:

jeffgp
01/03/2008, 09:11 AM
im not looking to build a skimmer
it is a CA reactor

hllywd
01/03/2008, 10:05 AM
DUH...:rolleyes: If I'd have looked you know all about ASM skimmers...

Guess I was thinking about a converstaion I had last night... sorry.

I agree the Coralife pump isn't much. I had a KnopC that had an Eheim 1048, I think the reactor body was 2" or 2.5". GEO uses a 1048 on the 618 and 624, both 6" bodies. The 2 is rated for more gph than the 1048 but that shouldn't be a problem. I'd say as long as the Mag doesn't leak it should work fine.

FWIW, I'm thinking the same thing. I liked the Knop design and if I stumble across a piece of 4" or 6" clear PVC I'll DIY my own too. I think it would be worth the extra $15 or $20 for the Eheim though.

Tim:cool:

jeffgp
01/03/2008, 10:16 AM
well thats the whole thing i can get the parts .. midland plastics is down the road and i have an inlaw that works there ...

im looking for the pump info
for something that size i should be looking for around 500gph for the rec pump ... or more ??? less ?????

i have not picked the pump yet ...
i like the eheim pumps . i use a mag 5 for return and that good too .. i know there are alot of other pump that are good as well ...

what GPH would be the best for a reactor of 6x15