PDA

View Full Version : close loop or not that is the question?

JCurry
01/03/2008, 08:32 AM
Hi all,
I wanted to get an idea of how many of you run with a close loop and how many of you do not. I have a 150 gallon that is 60"X24"X24" but I can't make up my mind to do a close loop or not I have an OM 4 way and a barracuda pump which is probably over kill. With the advances in the powerheads on the market I was thinking of getting a few powerheads and not worrying about the close loop. The return from the sump will go through two 1" sea swirls, so random flow will be taken care of. Then there is the whole question of what lighting to use… too many decisions :eek1: but that for another post. Thanks for looking.

Brandan
01/03/2008, 01:09 PM
I personally just hate looking at powerheads, so I have ran closed loops on my tanks. I think the OM is what is going to be key though. Id go for it.

JCurry
01/03/2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reply I'm just afraid that the close loop will leak! Anyone else have old close loops and leakage problems? Also should I get a dart pump instead? Thanks.

Brandan
01/03/2008, 04:34 PM
I think that as long as you have a quality pump, that you should be fine as long as leaks go. The plumbing is in your hands. Just take your time. And plan it out.

new_world_disor
01/03/2008, 07:16 PM
id deffo go with CL, looks neater and takes up next to no room in the display.

invincible569
01/03/2008, 08:52 PM
I had both and got rid of my CL. Tunze's did all the flow for me. A barrucuda costs $15/mo for me more than any other equipment I run 24/7.

wabio
01/03/2008, 09:50 PM
My next tank is going to be powerheads. I'll probably go VorTech and/or Tunze.

- Less electricity.
- No costly glass drilling / or structural integrity problems.
- Less potential for leaky PVCs and bulkheads.
- More arrangement possibilities.

chrissreef
01/03/2008, 10:08 PM
i went powerheads....
- i'm afraid of leaks
- i want to be able to change flow if i want
- i like wavemakers

dsandfort
01/03/2008, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty partial to the CL's. I have 3 running in my tank with 1 more to add. Each on a Dart and 2 on OM 4-ways. I'm pretty sure that this much flow with powerheads only would look kind of odd. I do use 2 Tunze 6100's on Wavyseas, so technically, I have 2 powerheads in the tank.

As far as leaking goes, depending on the design, there is nothing to leak. Otherwise, it's bulkheads you need to worry about. My tank has 14 and no leaks. Like Brandan said, the plumbing is up to you.

Rickyrooz1
01/03/2008, 10:33 PM
IMO go with two Tunze.

JCurry
01/04/2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks all for the replies, invincible569 I follow you blog, and I saw what happen when your bulk head leaked that’s what got me thinking. With a small tank like mine I was thinking that a pair of tunzes would give all the flow I'd need. I really don't like the look of equipment in tanks but I guess I'll have to get creative and hide them the best I can. What model tunzes would you say would give me enough flow? I like the tunze nano streams the 6055 that are controllable and they are smaller than the turbelles. What do you guys think?