PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting my skimmer?

reeformadness
01/03/2008, 12:08 PM
I recieved my first REAL skimmer today, an Octopus 150NW. Previously, I have only owned the built in sump type. It is so much bigger than I imagined. Good news, I suppose. Now how should I set this thing? Right now I have it in 8-10" of water as recommended by the merchant. Right now, the riser tube is higher than the height of my sump (my sump is only 12" high). Is this a good idea? How do I know when I have it set just right? Right now, no bubbles are collecting in the cup, but I have heard that it takes several days for this to happen anyway. The water level (bubble level) in the skimmer is right about at the junction to the collection cup.

flyguy7150
01/03/2008, 12:38 PM
The riser tube is fine if its higher than your sump. I would set the bubbles a little higher, maybe a little less than halfway in the collection cup and go from there till it starts producing good foam.

Also, did you put the o-ring where the venturi connects to the pump??? If you did you should take that off, it really restricts the amount of air coming in greatly. The part where the little gray piece with the air hose connects to the threaded portion of the pump.

reeformadness
01/03/2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I will try these adjustments and see how it goes.

reeformadness
01/03/2008, 01:45 PM
OK I made the adjustments. Seems to run much better. I have one more question...should I have the pump set perpendicular to the longest dimension or parallel to the longest dimension? Its hard for me to describe, but when the pump is parallel with the longest dimension, the venturi rests against the body of the skimmer. It doesn't seem to run correctly this way, so I have it at an angle. I wish it was supposed to be parallel though, because that would put the output further from the side of my sump. It just makes me nervous for some reason. As long as gravity keeps up though, it really shouldn't be a problem.

flyguy7150
01/03/2008, 02:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11513059#post11513059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeformadness
OK I made the adjustments. Seems to run much better. I have one more question...should I have the pump set perpendicular to the longest dimension or parallel to the longest dimension? Its hard for me to describe, but when the pump is parallel with the longest dimension, the venturi rests against the body of the skimmer. It doesn't seem to run correctly this way, so I have it at an angle. I wish it was supposed to be parallel though, because that would put the output further from the side of my sump. It just makes me nervous for some reason. As long as gravity keeps up though, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure if i understand you correctly, but pump position shouldn't make a difference, either way you can get it to fit in your sump should be fine. I think i have mine running parallel.

So you removed that o-ring?? Big difference without that right?

reeformadness
01/03/2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, big difference when I removed the O-ring. Frothier bubbles than before. Well, it seems when I turn the pump parallel, that the impeller gets noisy and the level in the skimmer falls. If you put your finger over the pump's water intake, then you will hear what I am hearing when I turn the pump completely parallel. I think it might not be able to recieve enough water when the intake is next to the body. I'm sure something is not exactly right, but it does seem to be working great the way I have the pump now. I appreciate your suggestions.

flyguy7150
01/03/2008, 02:49 PM
No problem, glad to help. I get what your saying, just keep trying to find a position so the pump's water intake won't be getting blocked. Shouldn't matter if its parallel or not.