PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish killing anemone

cpage3
01/03/2008, 12:41 PM
Hey all,

I recently (2 months ago) added an RBTA to my reef system and I think my clowns are killing it. A few weeks earlier I added a GBTA and it is thriving (the clowns arent killing it).

I have a pair of true percula clowns in there with them and the female is tearing the RBTA apart. It is digging into its mouth and pulling out white stuff and eating tentacles! Also, they host in it very roughly.

Does anybody know why this is happening?Can I expect this to continue to the point where the anemone dies? The anemone has been moving around trying to get away from the clowns for the past 2 months.

Please any insight into this situation would be much appreciated. What should I do?

Thank you,
Chris

SNAKEMANVET
01/03/2008, 01:06 PM
I would remove the anemone into another tank if possible. How big is the anemone, it should be three times larger than the clowns.Clowns have been known to kill anemones(with to much love).

cpage3
01/03/2008, 02:27 PM
It is at least 7inches, the gbta is the same size though, the female doesnt exceed three inches. Why would they eat tentacles though or pull stuff out of its mouth?

SNAKEMANVET
01/03/2008, 03:09 PM
I had a green carpet for a year or so,then one day my clowns started doing what yours is doing. Come to find it was dying, they would pull the food out of it's mouth, and tug on the insides.

eppic2569
03/15/2017, 12:03 PM
Hello all... This is my first time ever writing in a blog or group. I tried to add a picture but the upload said failed every time. Sorry for no picture. I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank setup. I have a question about the anemone. I added an anemone to my tank a few days ago along with 2 O clownfish. I was told that if they didnt host right away to try putting them in a rubber maid tote with the anemone, light, and heater. Well sure enough just a few minutes after I did the clownfish found the anemone. However it stung it so hard it killed the clownfish. Have any of you experienced the anemone killing the clownfish? I was told it was a bubble tip anemone but it doesnt seem to have any bubble looking things on it. It is a pink in color and when it is all the way out it is pink as well however when in is shrunk up kindof in its hole it is green. any ideas?

jah hoeva
03/15/2017, 12:49 PM
Hello all... This is my first time ever writing in a blog or group. I tried to add a picture but the upload said failed every time. Sorry for no picture. I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank setup. I have a question about the anemone. I added an anemone to my tank a few days ago along with 2 O clownfish. I was told that if they didnt host right away to try putting them in a rubber maid tote with the anemone, light, and heater. Well sure enough just a few minutes after I did the clownfish found the anemone. However it stung it so hard it killed the clownfish. Have any of you experienced the anemone killing the clownfish? I was told it was a bubble tip anemone but it doesnt seem to have any bubble looking things on it. It is a pink in color and when it is all the way out it is pink as well however when in is shrunk up kindof in its hole it is green. any ideas?

Probably should start your own thread instead of reviving this one. May get more help that way.

OrionN
03/15/2017, 03:28 PM
Largest size you can attached is 800X800 pixels. Resize your picture and you can attach it to the post