PDA

View Full Version : Wish list for building a Sump / Refugium

seldin
01/03/2008, 02:44 PM
I have been researching to buying a sump / refugium for under my cabinet with limited space.

In addition, I am chatting with a builder to build a custom sump. Not sure if I will go this way or not. Since I can not go very long, I can pack more volume of water with having the tank built high (21 inches), when my inside under tank total height is 27 inch.

However, I was thinking that if I do decide to get my sump / refugiium custom built, I would like to have the most important features.

Presently, the sump/ refugium will be used to house a deep sand bed. If I find, that I don't like the test results, I will use the tank as a refugium / sump. The dimensions I am looking at is 18 inch long, 10 inch wide and 21 inch high. I will be running a Mag 12, that has a valve to adjust water flow.

I am presently happy with my HOB skimmer, because I have a drain at the top of my display tank and if I decide later to place skimmer in sump then I will have to drain the cup myself, rather than have the skimmer drain into my drain at top of display tank.

Here is what I am thinking.

Ability to have a light on refugium. Removable egg crate and screen to hold DSB. 1 compartment for pump and a small compartment for inflow from display tank.

I also want the tank pre-drilled for a manual float for auto top off backup.

Any other feedback, on features for me to think about would be of help.

I have seen a pre-built 10 gallon tank that comes close to my ideal size, so I may go that route. This pre-built sump is 18 inch long, by 10 inch wide, by 16 inch tall.

M

Thank you,

seldin
01/07/2008, 09:42 AM
bump