PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic epoxy

malawinovice
01/03/2008, 02:57 PM
I need an acrylic cement/glue/epoxy for the center top brace on my acrylic sump.

Anyone use Loctite products for this?
I have a local Lowes and Home Depot, any recommended products from them?

I am hoping to pick something up for the weekend project.
Thanks

cbrooks
01/03/2008, 07:30 PM
I just went throught the same ordeal, it took awhile to find, but there is a product called weld-on and it is specifically for acrylic. It is a solvent weld, and it is super strong, I needed it because the top panel on my 110 was cracked. Lowe's(I work there) doesn't carry it, at least here in the east. I found it by calling around to local glass shops, I finally found a guy that had some and just gave me some after showing me how to use it. It is kind of a bizarre product, it has the consistency of water and it evaporates really fast when it iexposed to air. I did see at Lowe's a product by loctite that says it will work on acrylic, it has a primer you use on the glass, then the glue, It would be the easiest thing to find, that's for sure, but I am not sure how strong it will be. btw if you do find weld-on and you are debating between the smaller and bigger bottle, go small, the stuff goes a long long way with just a little. Good Luck:)

R.L.Young
01/03/2008, 07:40 PM
I serched all over for weld on and found the easiest way to get it was on ebay.

RONCGIZMO
01/04/2008, 12:37 AM
They have a lot of types of Weld-on I've used weld on 3 and 4 ones a slow set and the other is fast. I think they also have 40? I might be wrong but I think that one is like a thick gel.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.rplastics.com/plac.html

RONCGIZMO
01/04/2008, 01:32 AM
Sorry, #40 is the HD pro stuff try to find #4, #16 is the thicker stuff but it might make more of a mess if you're not used to it.

ClayWagner
01/04/2008, 03:12 PM
3 and 4 is primarily for acylic on acrylic bonds and is very viscous (almost like water). 16 will bond acrylic to acrylic, acrylic to glass, and acrylic to other hard plastics and is much like silicone. For a completely permanent bond, the 2-part 40 will bond almost anything to anything. I used the Loctite Plastic epoxy for my acrylic to acrylic bonds. It works, not sure for how long but the application I used it on isn't under pressure. General consensus is that if it's 2-part, your looking at a extremely strong adhesive.

malawinovice
01/04/2008, 09:06 PM
Loctite Plastic epoxy? Did you use it over the tank?
I am looking for something to fix my acrylic sumps center support brace?

Thanks

Acrylics
01/05/2008, 09:22 AM
Look at your local yellow pages under "Plastics, distributors: sheet, rod, film" (or something to this effect) or "Plastics: fabricating, finishing, & decorating" (or close to this). These folks will be in your area and carry Weld-On 4 or similar acrylic solvent. Many might also give tips on how to do it.
Other things can be made to work, but I wouldn't recommend it - esp to someone unfamiliar with fabricating.

HTH,
James

blcard
01/05/2008, 09:50 PM
Depending on what your attaching you might try the epoxy stuff from wally world.

If used the kind the the straw mixes it for your a couple times for baffles and it did really well.

Don't know about using for a complete sump though.