PDA

View Full Version : MaxiJet sureflow 1600gph?

JohnL
01/03/2008, 02:54 PM
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=11513915#post11513915

SeaIsle
01/03/2008, 02:54 PM
Mine began chattering the other night I had to get up and unplug it as it was keeping me up(im about 10 feet from my tank) I returned from work and plugged it back in and is silent 2 days running. I believe earlier in the thread there is a suggestion to run it out of water. Then you could always pull the prop out and start over. Or shaving the prop but that would seem to be a last resort deal.

kronan
01/03/2008, 08:43 PM
Just got my ocean duo wavemaker and put my 2 surflow mods on ( I have the large props on) and it rocks!

kronan
01/03/2008, 08:43 PM
Just got my ocean duo wavemaker and put my 2 surflow mods on ( I have the large props on) and it rocks!

frezel
01/03/2008, 08:45 PM
yeah a split!

SparkPlug
01/04/2008, 01:27 PM
just picked up to of the new kits..... impressed with the flow!!!!

seagirl
01/04/2008, 03:08 PM
finally got the split!!!

Fuzznutz
01/10/2008, 11:38 AM
Has anyone figured out what the flow differences are between the MJ400, 600 and 900 are with the Sureflow kit? I have a 400 and a 1200 and there is a notable difference, but this is just my hand in front of each. I am looking to buy a couple more pumps to mod and want to know if I can just buy 400s vs 900s and save $6/pump.

kmacartney
01/30/2008, 11:59 AM
I just got the GSII and when I started it up, it just rattles a bunch and never gets going. Any suggestions?

mic209
01/30/2008, 12:05 PM
i just got the sureflow kit, and i am really impressed with the flow. I think its much better then a koralia.

kmacartney
01/30/2008, 12:08 PM
My GSI is fine, my new one is having the problem.

TOYTEK
01/30/2008, 09:33 PM
Ok, so I followed this thread since it was only about 4 or 5 pages. Reading everyone's feedback, and waitng on the high flow models to come out. Decided that Sureflow sounded like the best of the three kits. Finally got around to getting one last Wednesday. I love the flow, but...
It never seems to start in the right direction and anti-reverse doesn't work, it just bounces around against the prop-stop. I was sticking my finger or something in to get it to go the right way. Tonight that wouldn't work. So, I tried everything I could remember reading here. Made sure I had the MJ red end caps on-even tried MJ cap on one end and SF on the other and vice-versa. Bent the tips of the blade out more. I even tried taking the thrust washer out hoping the prop would move back in quicker. Its hard to say for sure but I think this is one of my newer MJs-about 1 year old. Finally, I put the 1600 prop on and it seems to start properly &/or correct itself almost every time. The tank lights just went out so I'm done fooling with it for tonight. I plan on trying it on another MJ tomorrow and see if that helps. Does anyone have any idea what, if anything I am doing wrong, or what else I can try?
This is the reason I took my DIY MJMod out after it broke one MJ.

washingtond
01/31/2008, 05:17 AM
I have the same problem and for now just let it run. I took it off the controller while hopefully someone comes up with an answer.

superedge88
01/31/2008, 11:04 AM
These do not do well on a controller other than the seio controller that doesn't actually turn off the pumps but only turns them down to half power then up to full power.

kmacartney
01/31/2008, 11:12 AM
Anyone else have a suggestion for me?

kevin95695
01/31/2008, 11:24 AM
Piggybacking. I have two gulfstreamII's and they both gave me the same problem of endlessly chattering while they did not reverse. I have one SureFlow, not having this problem but I did shape the prop down a bit to dial down the flow. dhnguyen? Anybody?

jennmac415
01/31/2008, 12:12 PM
make sure you have the red rubber ends firmly seated on the shaft... I had this problem of chattering and discovered that I had not pushed the rubber red ends down all the way...

kmacartney
01/31/2008, 12:22 PM
I did try that. I was wondering if I could fix it by experimenting with placement of some extra washes I have.

marc nichols
01/31/2008, 12:22 PM
"These do not do well on a controller other than the seio controller that doesn't actually turn off the pumps but only turns them down to half power then up to full power."

Not necessarily true. I have a modded 400 on my ACjr doing just fine. No noise and no problems so far though I only cycle it 5 hrs through mid-day.

I have a Koralia Nano in our nano on a wave timer 24/7 and doing just fine. Mechanical breakages may be less an issue with the smaller pump heads. The MJ chattered at first and took some "manual stimulation" a few times.

Tbduval
01/31/2008, 07:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11731992#post11731992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmacartney
I did try that. I was wondering if I could fix it by experimenting with placement of some extra washes I have.

I had the same problem when I first got the GSII. The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to shave the prop down. I mean, it only took a little bit to get the prop working right. IMO, i think the white prop is a little too much for the MJ 1200 but with a little time you can get it to work right. Since I shaved the prop down I have not anymore problems. HTH.

kmacartney
01/31/2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks Tbduval, I may try that. I am also currently in contact with Triton Aquatics on the issue.

Tbduval
02/01/2008, 05:52 AM
Triton told me to add the 2nd washer. That worked for a minute or so then it started to do the same thing.

kmacartney
02/01/2008, 05:56 AM
I just heard back from them. They are sending me a new propellor. Great customer service!

superedge88
02/01/2008, 07:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11731998#post11731998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marc nichols
"These do not do well on a controller other than the seio controller that doesn't actually turn off the pumps but only turns them down to half power then up to full power."

Not necessarily true. I have a modded 400 on my ACjr doing just fine. No noise and no problems so far though I only cycle it 5 hrs through mid-day.

I have a Koralia Nano in our nano on a wave timer 24/7 and doing just fine. Mechanical breakages may be less an issue with the smaller pump heads. The MJ chattered at first and took some "manual stimulation" a few times.

Long term life span from hitting the stopper so many times can be greatly reduced.

TomRep
02/01/2008, 08:25 AM
What Seio controller is everyone using for the Sureflow kits? Any links?
tom

markandkristen
02/01/2008, 08:28 AM
i thought about doing a seio controller later on i have 8 of these guys going
3 on mj600s and 5 on the 1200s they seem to work pretty good..

clevengergl
02/01/2008, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11737649#post11737649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by superedge88
Long term life span from hitting the stopper so many times can be greatly reduced.

Is this based on personal experience or just speculation? I've had 4 SureFlow high-flow units running on a Reef Fanatic Wave Creator for about 4 months without any issues. How long did you run yours on a controller/wavemaker before you experienced problems?

marc nichols
02/01/2008, 11:08 AM
Not (yet) having had a failure, I'm curious as to which part(s) of the MJ break?

The AC Jr. has a soft start feature; the technology/functionality has not been explained to me, so I don't know the value for sure. I am curious to see if the less powerful conversions (smaller pumps) survive better. I can not detect any chatter with either pump on start cycles.

I do find a pretty hard "whack" occures when I manually restart my MJ 1200 mod, but that is an example of higher torque. I'm thinking that the adhesives and plastics will hold up under the lighter torque. Only time will tell.

superedge88
02/02/2008, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11738201#post11738201 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clevengergl
Is this based on personal experience or just speculation? I've had 4 SureFlow high-flow units running on a Reef Fanatic Wave Creator for about 4 months without any issues. How long did you run yours on a controller/wavemaker before you experienced problems?

Others have reported issues with the prop breaking over time, and a few others have reported that the shaft broke through the back of the MJ after being on an "on/off" wavetimer for a long period of time. Just a word of warning.

SeaIsle
02/07/2008, 12:05 PM
With regard to mounting the magnets that were mentioned before the split. What type of glue were people using to secur? I also had success with the magnet(before it detached) and using one of the suction cups that comes with the maxi jet.

PelagicMagic
10/06/2008, 09:51 PM
If anyone is looking for this set up pm me.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1485633

ShadyDetective
10/06/2008, 10:21 PM
I've used three mods (SureFlow, GSII, and Eco Mod) for quite a while (several months up to a year+). I wouldn't recommend used any of them on any wavemaker or timer that switches the power on/off. They WILL break eventually! Overall I prefer the GSII as it is more powerful. The SureFlow mechanics are a better design but their shaft is weaker (I had two snap). They likely use cheaper steel. They all last longer with smaller props on a smaller pump. The sution cups are fine for a while but they WILL fail repeatedly. A strong magnet mount is the way to go. The eco mod is generally going to be cheaper but expect to replace parts, which will end up costing you the money you saved on not buying one of the other two. Using an extra spacer on the GSII generally fixes restart problems on the GSII, but not after the prop or bumper are already worn. Also be sure to check inside the "back" of your MJ's to make sure the prop shaft is not drilling through the little platic cap. I epoxy this part to strengthen the bond. Sorry for the essay. Just wanted to share my experiences with these things.

flameangel88
10/06/2008, 10:50 PM
I've used 3 Sureflow 1600 and 2 GS2 and agree that the GS2 is better. The suction cup is good the first 3 months then one of them came off and killed 2 lg Cleaner Shrimps. All have came off one time or another and I would recommend using the magnet for long term use. One of the GS2 broke apart one day when I wasn't home the cage came off and the magnetic shaft came out and can't find the plastic cap. I also have 2 K4 since they first came out and never had any problem with them. I also run a Tunze 6000 (over a year) on a single controller without any problem.

bristle
10/07/2008, 08:44 AM
I've used 3 of these sureflow mods, on a mj600, mj900 and one on a mj400.

Seems like whenever they get unplugged, they rattle around and around and takes forever to get them going in the right direction (20 minutes plugging in and out, hitting prop with a pencil, twisting it in the right way). After that, they produce a lot of flow and are relatively quiet.

I've had all three break their shafts, regardless of which prop was on them. For a budget, they're fine but if your luck is anything like mine, you won't get much use out of them for over a year.

pelochas
10/07/2008, 09:11 AM
i had both of my "stainless" steel shaft corrode and break. i replaced them with carbon fiber shafts. now i had one that worked fine and one that was chattering. well the one that chatters broke the bracket. i emailed algee-free and they sent me two new brackets and two new props with magnets and shafts..basically everything but the shroud. i thought i was going to finally get some satisfaction from both units. well now i have one thats almost silent but occasionally you can hear it making a small buzz noise. and the other one is a complete racket..i not giving up, going to try to shave the prop or adjust something. but im very unlikely to buy any more of these mods and just get some big seios or tunzes or whatever but definately not the koralias.

kmacartney
10/07/2008, 12:14 PM
I am selling this controller. It does not start and stop but rather slow down and speed up. Brand new....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1478238