PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick out a MH setup to buy.

badfish
01/03/2008, 06:48 PM
Recently my 175w MH burnt out. A.J. (AZDesertRat) being the great guy he is lent me a 250w ballast and bulb until i am able to buy another ballast. I loved the 250w so much that i am switching over.

I would like some help on ballast brands and bulb "colors". I have done tons of reading about the two but i thought i would still ask ya'lls opinions.

I am going to be ordering from the aquacave.com web site from their MH kits. http://www.aquacave.com/searchresul...?CategoryID=438

I have read that ARO is a good ballast brand. Their ballast are simple and not all flashy but what i have read they are dependable.

Coralvue ballast are supoosed be dependable also. The loaner ballast i am using right now is a Coralvue. It has started up every time. A.J. told me that he bought his two 250w ballasts used 5 years ago and they still run like a champ.

Ice Cap is well known for great customer support. I have owned a Ice Cap 175w MH ballast in the past and was pretty happy with it. The new models sound and look awesome.

I dont know much about Galaxy. I cant find much on the internet in terms of reviews to read. I do know they are $20 more than Ice Cap.

I will be getting a Lumenarc reflector. I havent decided what size yet.

The bulb i had been using with my 175w MH was a 10000K South Pacific Sunlight bulb. It was super white with a tint of blue. I loved it.
The bulb i am using now with the 250w is a Ushio 10000K. It is to yellow for my taste.
I will be supplementing with 2 VHO Super Actinics. I have never used them before. I have always used PC's to supplement.
What bulb should i buy with the kit? I want to stick with a 10K or 12K. I dont want the tank to be to blue.
I have read that the Reeflux bulbs are popular.

Do you think that the Reeflux 12K with the VHO's would be to much?

What ballast do you like the best?

What combo do you like the best?

badfish
01/03/2008, 10:09 PM
Anyone?

kdblove_99
01/03/2008, 10:15 PM
Good choice on the reflector.

Ballast. I own PFO. But if i got anything else i would get the Galaxy. Look at Sanjays site. They seem to run the bulbs to there actual wattage. If you get Electronic it will fire up any bulb. SO i would go that route

Galaxy electronic ballast.

The Ushio 10K should not be yellow if supps are added, It should look pretty nice. Reeflux 12K will work.

BUt if i had Supps i would for sure go with the XM 10K. The par on this bulb is awesome!

Jay Fortay
01/03/2008, 10:16 PM
From my recent reading, you will be much better off going with the electronic ballast. You have more flexibility over bulb shoice that way. if you dont like the 10k you could go with a 14k hamilton. Its a cheaper bulb, a little more towards the blue side. I have only used 175 and 200 watters though. IMO the 10K Ushio is not very yellow, but I have never used a 10K Ushio without supplemental PCs. When I upgrade soon i will be going with 400 watt e-ballasts, and t5s for actinics. Why VHOs?