PDA

View Full Version : Is HLLE reversable?

eskymick
01/04/2008, 09:59 AM
I'm looking at an active, well-fed Majestic Angel. The only draw-back is that he has the beginning stages of HLLE (slight erosion in the forehead area).

He eats well, but I'm sure at the LFS he gets only mysis and brine. My guess is that the greens in his diet have ben absent.

Is it possible, with proper nutrition and vitamin suppliments, that the HLLE progress can be halted and/or cured?

Roy G. Biv
01/04/2008, 10:03 AM
I believe that it is reversible but may leave permenant scars.

Phyxius
01/04/2008, 10:15 AM
We bought a Tomini tang back in Nov that had early signs of HLLE also. Had the lines going down the sides and some markings on its face starting. He was in QT so we fed him a wide variety of foods, nori and supplemented with selcon and also garlic(more for appetite enhancing).
You cant even really tell it ever had it. There is a fine light spot on the one side but all else looks good. There is also a light spot on his head where it healed but unless you know to look for it you wouldn't see it.
It can be reversed but you will need to keep great water quality, feed it a proper and balanced diet and it will slowly go away. I actually think it cleared up even faster when we pulled him from QT and got him in our frag tank with MHs after a month.

A few members here told me to do all of the above and it worked out fine for me and the Tomini.

jeffbrig
01/04/2008, 10:24 AM
It is very much reversible, but a fish with severe HLLE will bear scars of it. I have both yellow and purple tangs that developed mild cases during QT and completely recovered once added to the reef tank. I have another yellow tang that had a severe case of HLLE and although the erosion healed, some scarring remains even years later.

eskymick
01/04/2008, 11:02 AM
In this case, there is no lateral line errosion, but there is some errosion in the forehead area. At first I thought it was a scrape, but it is apparent on both sides of the forehead.

I am in the market for a Majestic, and I fear that if I let this guy go, it'll only get worse. Should I play "nurse" or should I pass?

thor32766
01/04/2008, 11:21 AM
you very easy to reverse them. feed him his correct diet and it will change. As long as he is eating heavily I would grab him.