PDA

View Full Version : Where to get acrylic rods

Chelsey
01/04/2008, 02:12 PM
I'm working on a 100 gallon cube and I'm getting all new rock. I've read on various threads about using acrylic rods to support cool rock structures so that they don't come toppling down and kill everything, but I'm not sure where to get them. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Chelsey

reefkeeper135
01/04/2008, 02:17 PM
Try looking in a craft store, or hobby shop.

Chelsey
01/04/2008, 02:39 PM
How thick should they be?

SCR
01/04/2008, 02:51 PM
You can also use arrow shafts, from sporting good store.

scbadiver
01/04/2008, 03:00 PM
Hey Chelsey, The REAL acrylic rods are pretty expensive but I have used the thick plastic coat hangers before with no problems and they are available anywhere and really cheap.

hahnmeister
01/04/2008, 03:48 PM
Its not that expensive... just buy direct from tap, mcmaster, or us plastics... tap sells a 5/8"x6' clear rod for $7, mcmaster is the same.

old salty
01/04/2008, 03:57 PM
I purchased 1/2 inch fiberglass rods from McMaster Carr. You'll probably pay more for the shipping than the rods themselves.

NanoGurl
01/04/2008, 10:30 PM
Link (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21315&product%5Fid=18413)

Would those work? What thickness?

shootist
01/04/2008, 10:34 PM
I use rigid airline tubing from LFS,very cheap.

SDguy
01/04/2008, 11:21 PM
I used 3/8" clear acrylic rod with a 1/2" masonary bit to make the holes. Worked like a charm. Super cheap materials.

I found the acrylic bases (if you choose to use bases, instead of just using a piece of live rock) to be the most expensive. 1/2" thick acrylic sheets and discs aren't cheap. Instead, I just bought multiple thinner discs, and glued them together. Again, worked great, and cheap. Weldon 16 for glue.

trmiv
01/05/2008, 12:12 AM
I used 3/8" rod from us plastics. I also ordered 1/2" rod, but I didn't end up using it. Maybe on a future upgrade. :D

hahnmeister
01/05/2008, 01:20 AM
Thats the stuff nanogurl. I use acrylic so I can bond it to 1/4" acrylic flat plates under the sand.

I use 5/8"OD, 3/8" ID extruded pipe. I also have 3/8", but depending on the length and weight of the pieces, you might want to stick with something thicker.

OR, you can use other materials. There were some neoprene and other style rods at the local plastics distributor that seemed very strong and only 3/8" diameter (steel would be easier to bend). But if you use other materials, mounting might not be as easy. I suppose, you could always drill and tap out some threaded holes for the rods... but you might need a thicker base material.

old salty
01/05/2008, 01:46 AM
Placing a large rock at the bottom may negate having to use any base material. Just be sure to have the rock sitting somewhat flat before you drill it. It also doesn't hurt to drill several holes in different directions.

NanoGurl
01/05/2008, 06:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11525356#post11525356 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
Thats the stuff nanogurl. I use acrylic so I can bond it to 1/4" acrylic flat plates under the sand.

I use 5/8"OD, 3/8" ID extruded pipe. I also have 3/8", but depending on the length and weight of the pieces, you might want to stick with something thicker.

OR, you can use other materials. There were some neoprene and other style rods at the local plastics distributor that seemed very strong and only 3/8" diameter (steel would be easier to bend). But if you use other materials, mounting might not be as easy. I suppose, you could always drill and tap out some threaded holes for the rods... but you might need a thicker base material.

Okay thanks for the info. Do you think by any chance thinner pieces of PVC pipe might work?

NanoGurl
01/05/2008, 06:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11525428#post11525428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by old salty
Placing a large rock at the bottom may negate having to use any base material. Just be sure to have the rock sitting somewhat flat before you drill it. It also doesn't hurt to drill several holes in different directions.

That's what I was planning to do... use rocks for the base I think. Thank you.

hahnmeister
01/05/2008, 02:17 PM
1/2" PVC is pretty strong. CPVC may or may not work... it has a thinner wall. Sure, it could be enough... just depends on how much stress you put on it. It could work though.

By far though, there are some 3/8" rods that the local plastics shop gets in that are very very strong though. I cant break them (12"-18" long) with my bare hands. That stuff would rock. I have a bunch of them... never thought of using it though because it wont bond to much... but maybe if I thread it instead... hmmm....

NanoGurl
01/05/2008, 09:15 PM
Well I was just thinking PVC bc I am only working with light pieces of rock.. it wouldn't be large or like suspended over the sand bed... just basically to add strength to a "tower." I like the acrylic rods but if PVC works just as good I might try that. I'll have to see how strong it is at the right size.

reefworm
01/05/2008, 09:34 PM
how about replacement adjusting/tilt rods for mini-blinds? Picked some up quite cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot [can't remember which now]. They have a star-shaped cross-section which seemed to grip well in the drilled holes. About 5/8" in dia. and they've done rather well holding up sizeable pieces that would tumble otherwise.