PDA

View Full Version : vortech on curved glass

mcliffy2
01/04/2008, 02:26 PM
I purchased 2 vortechs for my aquarium that is currently in the works. My current aquarium is a 48" diameter semi-circle (so the curve is very slight), and Im wondering if I can hook them up on this while setting up the new tank. The glass is 1/2". I understand it may be noisier or less efficient, but if the Vortech stays in place can I use it? I don't think the curve results in the pump and motor being further apart than 3/4", or could using it damage my pumps somehow? Thanks.

EcoTech Marine
01/04/2008, 02:34 PM
I mcliffy2-

I really don't have any way to tell whether or not it would be a problem on a tank like this without seeing it. If you provide me the exact radius of the curve I could model it and examine how it looks.

-Tim

mcliffy2
01/04/2008, 06:25 PM
The tank is a perfect half circle with 24" radius (48" diamater), so I guess youd just treat it as a circle. Does that give you enough info to calculate the radius of curvature? Sorry my geometry is eluding me right now. Heres a sketchup I did of the tank:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a339/mcliffy2/aquarium1-small.jpg

mcliffy2
01/04/2008, 06:36 PM
ok, did a little thinking and for the pump inside, which will touch at both edges, there is .047 or less than 1/20th of an inch of spacing between the glass and the middle of the inside pump. I'm not sure how it will behave on the outside, if it rolls so one edge touchs and the opposite edge doesnt I think it will double that so 2/20ths of an inch (for 3/20s total, plus glass, about 5/8ths). If it stays flush so the middle of the outside pump touches the glass, it will be 1/20th on either side, so 2/20ths of an inch total spacing in addition to glass. Thoughts on if this will work? Ultimately I guess the question is also not necessarily if it will work, but if I try it and it doesnt work, will it damage the pump and void the warranty?

Thanks.

CJ
01/05/2008, 10:42 AM
Since it is a temporary situation could you put them on the back on either side of the overflow? It would solve the problem until your new tank is up and running.

mcliffy2
01/05/2008, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11526593#post11526593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CJ
Since it is a temporary situation could you put them on the back on either side of the overflow? It would solve the problem until your new tank is up and running.

Can't, its against the wall, and there isnt enough space for the Vortech external driver.

CJ
01/05/2008, 02:08 PM
Bummer :(