PDA

View Full Version : Could high salinity be the problem?

Cheebs
01/04/2008, 03:04 PM
Well, so far my tank has been doing very well. however, lately I started noticing a culmination of very small problems, and I knew something was up (My BTA is shrinking a bit more often than normal, the skirt of my zoanthids doesn't look as full, clams acting a bit strange...). My levels are all good, with everything sitting at zero, except maybe Nitrates at 5 because of recent fish additions.

Anyways, I keep the tank at 78 degrees, and I tested the water this morning to find that the water was sitting at 1.024 specific gravity on my hydrometer, which works out to something like 1.026 in reality. Obviously I'll be doing a water change to fix it, but could this be what is troubling my corals? I've been trying to figure it out for a while, but hydrometers aren't the most reliable things out there... Refractometer here I come.

Thanks in advance,
Cheebs.

bdare
01/04/2008, 03:18 PM
Cheebs,

1.026 is what a lot of people keep thier reef tanks at... You should be fine.

Ben

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/04/2008, 03:21 PM
I agree, that is a perfect target specific gravity. I'd look for some other problem.

Percula9
01/04/2008, 05:36 PM
Try a water change, this might perk things up. They might not like the flow where they are, to little or to much.

Cheebs
01/04/2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys. It seems things are perking back up again, I think I may have accidentally added extra salt in my last water change, so even though it's where it should be, I think everything might have just been adjusting to the change or something. Everything is good to go now :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/05/2008, 05:09 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy reeefing. :)