PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Lights.

Toddrtrex
01/04/2008, 08:46 PM
So, I got of stuff from PA for Xmas ( sad that I was most excited about those gifts ;) )

I received 3 bulbs, 1 Ushio 175 14k SE, 1 Phoenix 250 DE, and1 Reeflux 12 K 250 DE.

With the Ushio, I've noticed a flickering with it, have been running it for 5 days now ( 8 hours a day ). It is like when a fluorescent bulb is going bad. Not sure if it is part of the burn in process or not, but it is a bit annoying. I've tried it in both sockets and it still does it. Running a Hamilton Eballast. Have used Hamilton, XM and Iwasaki bulbs without this issue.

The Reeflux bulb has spots in the inner part, I am not using it yet, but did try it out to make sure it works, and it does. But, I am wondering if the spots will effect it.

Here is a picture of the Reeflux.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/12KDE.jpg

I don't have the order number, since it was a gift, but I can give you the information of the person that bought them for me if needed, would PM it.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Todd.

jasonfrey
01/06/2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Todd,

On the Reeflux, the spots are ok. That's just how that manufacture works, sometimes get some stuff on the bulb when they make it, it won't effect performance or cause any problems.

On the Ushio, German made lamps sometimes have some trouble firing up when they are new. They like a little more juice to fire up then other lamps. It's not a issue in Germany because they use pulse start ballasts.

So that might just be a burn in issue. Although usually it's off, then few minutes, then on again etc. I would give it maybe 2 more days. If you still have that problem, drop us an email at sales@premiumaquatics.com or call 317-895-9005 and we'll get that exchanged for another Ushio or something completely different if you want.

Toddrtrex
01/06/2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the weekend reply Jason. I figure the Reeflux was fine, but wanted to make sure.

For the Ushio cool, I will give it a couple more days. It always comes on and stays on, just a flickering most of the time. Having some "work" done on my body this week, so it might not be until Thursday until I can get back to you -- depending on how the knee surgery goes.

jasonfrey
01/06/2008, 01:10 PM
HOpe your knee goes ok, doesn't sound like fun.

I thought of more thing to try(look). On the ushio, make sure the "nipple" is pointing away from the tank or "up". If you look right at the center part of the bulb, the nipple is the little part sticking up on the bulb. It's a heat vent and sometimes if it's pointing down it can cause flicker. So I've heard.

If you need to adjust the bulb, unplug your system and pull or push in your tab inside the socket, so it will let you screw in a little more/less to get it to line up. That might fix the problem, if it's off.

Toddrtrex
01/06/2008, 01:20 PM
Right now the "nipple" is at 9 o'clock. Should I try for 12 o'clock?

Here is a picture I just took, the halides aren't on it. I noticed some spotting on it too -- that wasn't there at first -- assuming no big deal?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Ushio.jpg

Thanks again.

Toddrtrex
01/06/2008, 01:25 PM
Here is a picture of what it would look like at 12 o'clock, would the metal bar cause any issue with light penetration?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Ushio2.jpg

jasonfrey
01/06/2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Todd,

Let me do a little research. Maybe I'm backwards, I was thinking it should go at 12, but that is odd the bar is in the way. I checked other brands and they are that way as well. So let me double check and make sure I'm telling you the correct info.

Toddrtrex
01/06/2008, 03:16 PM
Great, thanks a lot Jason.