PDA

View Full Version : Could I add more fish to my 55g?

sfarid123
01/04/2008, 11:52 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 55g mixed reef which is almost 3 yrs old. I 'd like to add more fish but concerned If it would affect my water quality and indanger my current inhabitants.

->I was thinking adding a blue hippo tang and a yellow tang.

My tank consists of:
(1 GBTA)
softies (shrooms/ricordias)
2 small frags Acroporas
2 bubble corals
few pumping xenias
2 percs
1 orange fromia star
1 yellow tailed blue damsel
1 purple gobey
bunch of hermits crabs

Parameters are great and everyones happy.
Filtration = Aqua C remora +mag 3
4-5"DSB
TLF-150 +GFO

Thanks

Ps If you think the blue hippo and yellow tang wouldn't work, what other fish options would you suggest?

bertoni
01/04/2008, 11:57 PM
I might add another fish, but not a large one like a tang. Some of the smaller wrasses might be okay. A neon goby or two might be an okay choice, as well.

demonsp
01/05/2008, 12:04 AM
Tangs are for bigger tanks.Besides with so many differant fish to choose from why pick the 2 most common.Look here for more unique fish and GL.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/index.cfm?ref=3319&subref=AB

sfarid123
01/05/2008, 12:18 AM
Some of the wrasses looks good a bit pricey though.
How long do they live?

warrenm107
01/05/2008, 12:50 PM
Your damsel might through a hissy fit, but will probably calm down after a day or so. Six line wrasses are nice, quick, and will hold there own against other fish.

bertoni
01/06/2008, 12:03 AM
I don't know the lifespan of wrasse species.

Sk8r
01/06/2008, 12:14 AM
Some of the smaller gobies like highfins and tangaroas would be a good fit.

tmz
01/06/2008, 01:10 AM
I agree with the previous posts.
However, my experience with (Pseudocheilinus hexatenia ) the siline wrasse was negative as has been the case for others. Pseudocheilinus can be and often are aggressive. A sixline might put your purple firefish(Nemateleotris decora) at risk.
A basslet such as a royal gramma could work.Perhaps a smaller dwarf angel(see Centropyge)depending on the type of corals you keep would work . You can also consider various cardinal fishes or hardier anthias like lyretails such as Pseudoanthias squampinis.