PDA

View Full Version : serial interface cable

lilchris
01/05/2008, 08:01 AM
I just received my serial interface cable to connect my ACjr to my computer. When I tried to connect the cable to the computer it wouldn't fit. It seems that the serial plug on the wire is a male end also it a male end on my computer. I thought that it suppose to be a female end on the cable? I purchased it from Marine Depot. Should I send it back or am I doing something wrong?

thetedinator
01/05/2008, 11:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11525947#post11525947 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
I just received my serial interface cable to connect my ACjr to my computer. When I tried to connect the cable to the computer it wouldn't fit. It seems that the serial plug on the wire is a male end also it a male end on my computer. I thought that it suppose to be a female end on the cable? I purchased it from Marine Depot. Should I send it back or am I doing something wrong?

Not sure what to make of this....according to the information here. (http://www.neptunesys.com/misc.htm) the serial cable is mini-din on the end that plugs into the AC and female DB9 on the other.

Palancarpets
01/05/2008, 11:55 AM
It does sound like a mistake. But if you are in a jam a DB9 Female to DB9 Female Gender Changer should make it work. Here is a link for reference.
DB9 Female to DB9 Female Gender Changer (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062206&cp=&sr=1&origkw=serial+gender&kw=serial+gender&parentPage=search)

lilchris
01/05/2008, 10:22 PM
Cool thanks

ALEX007
01/06/2008, 11:17 AM
I have the same type of cable with gender changer and I can not get the acjr to communicate with computer. I am not sure if the cable is the problem or something else

lilchris
01/07/2008, 05:10 AM
I purchased the DB9 and it will work on the cable but not on my laptop. It looks like the serial on my laptop has a 15 pin serial port. Is this a common serial on a laptop? I a Dell Inspirion 6000. Also I tried on my wifes laptop she has a brand new Gateway. They have the same serial port on the back.

pgordemer
01/07/2008, 08:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11539825#post11539825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lilchris
I purchased the DB9 and it will work on the cable but not on my laptop. It looks like the serial on my laptop has a 15 pin serial port. Is this a common serial on a laptop? I a Dell Inspirion 6000. Also I tried on my wifes laptop she has a brand new Gateway. They have the same serial port on the back.

The 15 pin port is VGA out, not serial. You will need to pickup a USB to Serial adapter.

lilchris
01/07/2008, 09:20 AM
Cool can I get from Radio shack