PDA

View Full Version : controler and skimmer

chris31
01/05/2008, 09:05 AM
ok im looking into to getting one of each of these for a controler im looking at the reefkeeper2 i like it but if anyone has any other suggestions im open to any ideas.
as far as the skimmer im still undecided it seems to be after reading many threads that a lot of people have a octopus. Is this the way to go? also is it better to have a in sump skimmer or external skimmer or is there really no benafit either way?im also open to any ideas in this catagorie to.
i just dont want a piece of **** i want something good
thanks everyone

lvpd186
01/05/2008, 09:52 AM
For some really good comparison information on controllers try this (http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/) site. I have a reefkeeper2 and I have been very happy with it. As for the skimmer it kind of depends on what your goals are, tank size and how much you want to spend. I will say that an in-sump skimmer IMO will work better then a HOB skimmer, but if you were referring to an external recirculating skimmer that could be a different story. Why don't you post the size of the tank you are looking at, what kind of livestock (sps tank, FO tank, FOWLR tank, just softies, etc) and what kind of budget you have for a skimmer. Then you will probably get some brand and size suggestions. Good luck.

chris31
01/05/2008, 03:29 PM
well i have a 95 and im not talking about a HOB i ment a recirculating one and kind of tank prob sps / fish tank

chris31
01/05/2008, 06:40 PM
any suggestions????

Konadog
01/05/2008, 07:44 PM
Have you seen this thread on skimmers? It may help you decide.

The Skimmer Comparison Chart (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1268617&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

The chart is the same place as the controller chart.

markandkristen
01/05/2008, 08:09 PM
alot of factors play into skimmer i used to follow this forum alot.. the skimmer suggestion came up quiet alot...

even after three years in this hobby... i can truely say that i have seen alot of opinions on here as far as which pulls the darkest gunk out thier...

from my experience and using needle wheel skimmers i prefer them.
i have a rc500 on a 150.. (its overkill) not really needed..

the octopus makes a great skimmer and the pumps are pretty descent.. another thing comes to mind on skimmers is price what are you wanting to pay...

a das ex 2 is a good fit for your application...
a euro reef rc 180 would be another good one
and h&s 150a is another good one...
the octopus nw200 is another good one..
tunze makes a nice small one the 9010 that would be good.

these are just a few that when setup correctly... given enough time to slime up would do you a nice job...

im of the opinion that the eheim pumps which is found on the deltec , euro reef rc models and the upper models of the h&S skimmers run the quietest...