PDA

View Full Version : Urgent lighting system change suggestions.

skip0211
01/05/2008, 06:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been using an Aqua Medic 72" Aquaspacelight for 5 years. It's 72' on a 265 gal reef tank. I've been using 3 250 10k HQI's with the 4 24 watt Blue compacts. I've always liked the fixture and have had good coral growth. Needless to say it's hot and heavy. During my annual bulb change over the holidays, my middle HQI wouldn't light. I took it apart and discovered that one of the transformers was fried from it's heat over the years. I ordered a new one from Aquamedic (Global Aquatic now). Got it today and when I went to attempt to wire it, the next transformer crumbled in my hands. I need another one obviously. The third one looks like it is next. So before I continue to throw money at this I'm asking for suggestions as to a good replacement fixture. Needless to say have to move quickly as I've placed an old 4 bulb power compact system from my breeder tank over it for now. Corals will get stressed quickily though. Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.

Skip

NealNano
01/05/2008, 07:35 PM
PFO makes some great HM and LED lights as does Hamiltin.

Roy G. Biv
01/05/2008, 08:54 PM
I think you may be better keeping up with the one you have because 72" fixtures can get expensive.
However.. Look up Coralife Aqualight Pro. 72" 250W. I happen to have a new one, extra that I ordered for a friend that I am selling for $1000 and I live less than 2hrs away from you.

ahullsb
01/05/2008, 09:37 PM
I like my Current Outer Orbit. Why not go lumenarcs? :) A 400 watt radium usually looks pretty good to me. I assume you are looking for one fixture though? Some of the newer ones have great mh/t5 combos that you may like.

skip0211
01/06/2008, 12:02 AM
Pmolan,

I'll research the coralife tomorrow ... looks like I have to replace all the transformers as I completly disasembled the light tonite.

ReefEnabler
01/06/2008, 12:33 AM
crispy transformers? ouch.

if I had gone through that experience, i'd say 'to hell with assembled fixtures' and install ballasts in the cabinet, and pendants alone in the hood.

but if you can repair the fixture, more power to you. But you'll probably have to keep making the same repairs after the same time duration.

skip0211
01/06/2008, 07:24 AM
Crispy is the correct term, that's for sure...

Anyone else have suggestions ??? I don't use a hood as the aquaspacelight was hung from the ceiling and would prefer not to.

Thanks,

Skip

yarballs
01/06/2008, 09:21 AM
aquatinics has a reasonably priced t5 sytem around 1000 you get 14 ,39watt bulbs and three switches . I like t5s cause you can blend color temps and bulbs are cheap to replace . i dont know if your system can handle the wattage drop though . Aqua traders has a system for around 600 made in China . I have one of their pc systems and its not impressive but ok . I just ordered a system from current that has 3 250 de bulbs and 8 ,39 watt t5s and moon lights for 1150 . There is also a 12 bulb t5 system for around 600 that just came out I think by current also . Good luck

skip0211
01/06/2008, 05:22 PM
pmolan,

Sent you a PM