PDA

View Full Version : removing nitrates

Psideways
01/05/2008, 10:02 PM
Does any one have some good plans to remove Nitrates?

dunham16
01/05/2008, 10:06 PM
water changes.

Newlin
01/05/2008, 10:09 PM
:werd:

RandyStacyE
01/05/2008, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't used crushed shells as a base/gravel (though many do).

I would NOT use tap water to compensate for evaporation or water changes. I would definitely suggest using at least RO water. RO/DI water is better because it will have ZERO TDS (Total Disolved Solids).

Assuming that you are not overfeeding and assuming that you are using RO or RO/DI water then doing some somewhat frequent water changes should solve the problem over a reasonable period of time.

norwall
01/05/2008, 10:45 PM
I noticed the title of this post and am having same problem with chronic high nitrates. Water changes do nothing.

RandyStacyE
01/05/2008, 11:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11531331#post11531331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by norwall
I noticed the title of this post and am having same problem with chronic high nitrates. Water changes do nothing.

So you are assuming that Psideways uses RO/DI water, doesn't overfeed, does not use crushed shell, and is NOT using city tap water?

All of the above will cause a pepetual nitrate problem.

funman1
01/05/2008, 11:02 PM
Yes enough water changes will help.
The solution to pollution is dilution..

However if they keep going up you have a larger problem. Overfeeding, or overstocked tank.

The best way to get rid of them with a better solution is a fuge with Cheato, Flow, and LOTS of lights.

Check out my nitrate results with a fuge added to my system..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1104728

norwall
01/06/2008, 12:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11531455#post11531455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by funman1
Yes enough water changes will help.
The solution to pollution is dilution..

However if they keep going up you have a larger problem. Overfeeding, or overstocked tank.

The best way to get rid of them with a better solution is a fuge with Cheato, Flow, and LOTS of lights.

Check out my nitrate results with a fuge added to my system..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1104728 Sounds like the plan.

Psideways
01/06/2008, 12:57 AM
I dont over feed and my tank is not over stocked. I have a constant persisting nitrate level that I cant resolve. I was wondering if any one had success with one of those nitrate removing filters?

Thank Guys

RandyStacyE
01/06/2008, 09:13 AM
What water do you use?

How old is your tank?

caseyjones
01/06/2008, 11:08 AM
assuming you stop whatever is causing your nitrates then water changes will work well but you have to do many of them, 10% around 15 times and you will see the levels drop. Personally I use a deep sand bed in a 5 gallon tank off to the side of my main tank and my nitrate is never above 1ppm. I've worked at a LFS and heard people say that De-Nitrate by Seachem works reasonably well.

caseyjones
01/06/2008, 11:09 AM
Also...don't use canister filters or bioballs as they are nitrate sponges. If you have a sump then put your skimmer in the first compartment and that will remove organics before they can even break down.

snorvich
01/06/2008, 11:27 AM
Well, you could go with a remote deep sand bed for denitrification. Details are available using search function. Easy to build, pretty cheap too.

zuzecawi
01/06/2008, 02:18 PM
I run a sulfur reactor, I have a small tank, small stock but frequent feedings for them (my cardinals are pigs) and I had nitrate problems. Even with the remote deep sand bed, and weekly 21% water changes with RO/DI water, my nitrates were steady in that 10-30 range, and the sps did not appreciate that. Started running a Korralin bio-denitrator and it works wonderfully. I'm experimenting with building more (prilled sulfur is pretty cheap unless of course you buy it from korallin or another one of those marine companies) and so far it's pretty easy to build. There's some guy on ebay who builds them and then sells them for half the price of korallin but still a high price, and I kinda like getting to look into the reactor.

Of course, the purists would argue that I could get the same results by getting rid of all the fish! *grins*

richie a rich
01/06/2008, 07:52 PM
This is the way that i have been getting rid of nitrates and Phosphates in my tank for the past 10 years....... i cant remember the last time i did a water change!! it has been years since i did one... i use a NatuReef Denitrification Reactor...

http://www.natureef.com/

colotl
01/06/2008, 11:17 PM
A refugium brought mine to 0

djfrankie
01/07/2008, 05:54 PM
Check out my DIY Sulfur Denitrator thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1288082

HTH,
djfrankie