PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Curent USA Nova Extreme Pro w/ bulb options?

Txcowboy22
01/06/2008, 01:26 AM
I believe I have decided to get a 36'' nova pro, but I heard that the 10k lamps are not very good. I was wonder if anyone knew where I could get one with different bulbs for the cheapest amount of money? Ane if anyone knew what bulb I should get for optimal growth and neon/blue color? THANKS!

nathenvan
01/06/2008, 07:12 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1269547&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

that thread might help... www.reefgeek.com they sell good quality bulbs

kdirk
01/06/2008, 09:12 AM
I dont think you will find an option for diffrent bulbs, the only bulbs you're going to find are the ones they provide. The bulbs they do provide, are not good, but also not that bad. I'm going to use mine to aclimate my tank for about three months then buy diffrent bulbs, good luck.

rsw686
01/06/2008, 09:21 AM
You can only buy that light with the bulbs it comes with. Its all packaged together. If you want different bulbs you'll need to buy them and swap them out.

Nothing comes cheap in lighting. Buying replacement bulbs in my opinion is a waste of money due to the single reflector of the nova extreme light. I've had that light and returned it due to noise and a faulty ballast. I ended up just spending the money on a Aquactinics light. Best money I spent.

siwelk
01/06/2008, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11533459#post11533459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsw686
You can only buy that light with the bulbs it comes with. Its all packaged together. If you want different bulbs you'll need to buy them and swap them out.

Nothing comes cheap in lighting. Buying replacement bulbs in my opinion is a waste of money due to the single reflector of the nova extreme light. I've had that light and returned it due to noise and a faulty ballast. I ended up just spending the money on a Aquactinics light. Best money I spent.

the OPs talking about the new Nova Extreme Pro model. it has individually contoured reflectors. not the single parabolic reflector of times past. its still not a true indidivual like the SLRs but its a big improvement over the older models. Grim has done some PAR testing on the new unit. the results were surprisingly good. the 10K bulbs are actually pretty decent, the blue bulbs are actually lower in PAR than the blue bulbs from the older model Novas. three 10K bulbs is a little much of that spectrum though. i have the 36" Nova Pro and ill be swapping out 4 of the 6 bulbs after my tanks cycles. ill most likely order them from reefgeek.com

probably

1 - ATI blue +
1 - ATI aquablue special
1 - UVL super actinic
1 - UVL 75/25

HTH

Txcowboy22
01/06/2008, 11:56 AM
ok, so what 2 bulbs would you be keeping? The 2 blue ones? what would the set up be front to back?

rsw686
01/06/2008, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11534439#post11534439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by siwelk
the OPs talking about the new Nova Extreme Pro model. it has individually contoured reflectors. not the single parabolic reflector of times past. its still not a true indidivual like the SLRs but its a big improvement over the older models. Grim has done some PAR testing on the new unit. the results were surprisingly good. the 10K bulbs are actually pretty decent, the blue bulbs are actually lower in PAR than the blue bulbs from the older model Novas. three 10K bulbs is a little much of that spectrum though. i have the 36" Nova Pro and ill be swapping out 4 of the 6 bulbs after my tanks cycles. ill most likely order them from reefgeek.com

probably

1 - ATI blue +
1 - ATI aquablue special
1 - UVL super actinic
1 - UVL 75/25

HTH

Totally missed the Pro part. I just looked it up and for the price of the light plus new bulbs you can get a nicer Tek or Aquactinics for basically the same price.

Txcowboy22
01/06/2008, 02:20 PM
not with 6 bulbs

siwelk
01/06/2008, 03:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11534461#post11534461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Txcowboy22
ok, so what 2 bulbs would you be keeping? The 2 blue ones? what would the set up be front to back?

id keep one 10K and one blue. the 10Ks were tested and proven to be pretty decent. the blues are low in PAR but i like the look they give. my setup would be:

front
Current blue
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue +
Current 10K
UVL super actinic
ATI aquablue special

rsw686
01/06/2008, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11535287#post11535287 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Txcowboy22
not with 6 bulbs

The Aquactinics 5 bulb with the nice reflectors output is probably equal to the Nova with 6 bulbs. It's really all in the reflectors. If you can get the same output with one less bulb that'll save you in electrical costs.