PDA

View Full Version : can nitrates...........

nycsicktank
01/06/2008, 10:22 AM
can nitrates go down if you have cheato, DSB and lr rubbles without doing w.c? (someone said they can)

my tank has finished cycling. i only did 10gallon w.c. its been 2 months and my nitrates is still at 50ppm...

MalHavoc
01/06/2008, 10:43 AM
Sure. water changes give you another avenue of exporting nutrients (and also replacing trace elements and generally correcting problems). If you've got excellent nutrient removal through other things, like protein skimming, a DSB, good live rock, etc, you can do fine.

I still recommend water changes, though. It's something that works for me, but others may have their own points of view.

michaeljames
01/06/2008, 10:44 AM
I would keep doing water changes, maybe 20g a week, the macro will help but won't solve the problem, Randy holmes farley has a great article on WC's in the reef chem forum

snorvich
01/06/2008, 10:48 AM
The problem is not export of undesirables, it is depletion of desirables. All of the export strategies are good things, but your tank will deplete a lot of stuff that really should be replenished.

nycsicktank
01/06/2008, 01:47 PM
when does DSB starts to do his job?

cd77
01/06/2008, 02:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11534729#post11534729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nycsicktank
when does DSB starts to do his job?

People have posted at wetwebmedia that they've seen results almost immediately when adding a DSB to an established tank -- like a couple days. I started my first tank with a DSB in August (read: very new tank) and nitrates are at 0.2 tested by AWT last month.

Give it time though. Eventually you'll start seeing striations and abundant life. A detritivore kit, or seeding with some sand from an established tank may help give it a nice kick start :)

Worth reading if you haven't already: http://www.ronshimek.com/Deep%20Sand%20Beds.htm
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/rs/feature/index.php

DSB's do require maintenance (additional sand, detritivore recharges, good flow, etc..) and you'll be a bit restricted as to what types of o life you can place in your tank (sand sifters of most types aren't typically recommended) The use of DSB's is still debated.

snorvich
01/06/2008, 04:52 PM
Remote deep sand beds with good flow and no light remove some of these down sides. Half life is about 18 months if you are using aragonite sand.