PDA

View Full Version : Help With Corals

RyanMcLaughlin
01/06/2008, 03:44 PM
I just started a tank that is cycling right now and it has 2 250watt metal halide bulbs and a pair of flourescent with actnic. I know I wont be able to have corals until my tank has established. My question is what kind of corals can I have? I have tried looking but it is so confusing. What kind are good with metal halides and which arent. I really like clams, Brain Corals, and corals that sway with the current like the Goniopora. Any advice that would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Ryan

kau_cinta_ku
01/06/2008, 03:56 PM
[welcome]

what size tank?

RyanMcLaughlin
01/06/2008, 04:26 PM
Its a 100 gallon with about 120 to 140 lbs or live rock and like 240lbs of live sand.

RyanMcLaughlin
01/06/2008, 06:20 PM
I also wanted to have fish with it mainly so I dont want ones that arent good with fish.

seapug
01/06/2008, 07:06 PM
The issue is more about the compatibility of the fish you want with the corals, not the other way around. If a particular fish you want is a coral eater, then I wouldn't put any corals in the tank.

Your tank and lights are suitable for just about any coral you could want, so start researching and looking at pictures of other people's tanks to see what direction you want to go in.

Clams and brain corals will be fine in your tank, but I would avoid Goniopora at this point, they can be very hard to take care of, even for experts. If you want to try your hand with corals and like the look of Goniopora, look for long polyp Sarcophytons and leathers first and see how they do.