PDA

View Full Version : New to the game again

scuttlebut
01/06/2008, 03:54 PM
After years of no fish I have decided to do it again. My previous experience was with a small 40 gal salt tank. Tank did quite well for being so small and having only mininal fish and live rock. I purchased a 90 gal with stand and canopy from a friend for $150.00. Tank was 6 months and never had water in it. Guess he was hard up for money. Looking for a little advice on setup and equipment. Im rusty and not up to speed on the salt thing anymore. Currently have an old 30 gal tank I planned on making a wet/dry out of and use an undergravel bio filter. I read and hear conflicting info on tank turnover. What should it be 3 - 4, more?This will not be used as a reef but more towards fish and a few inverts.

I had planned on drilling my tank for two drains (1") and one return (3/4") on the back. (I hate the look of stuff hanging over the side.) Do I use a wet/dry trickle, refugium, sump containing both? I have a euro reef skimmer which can be configured to use both in the sump or out. Any preferences? Considering the size of my filter tank 36x12x16, how should it be configured and can anyone provide me with a drawing/diagram of a good sump design? I know there is almost no end to the amount and quality of equipment that one can invest in but I'm not looking to mortgage my home either just for a tank. Help me out guys/girls, I need advice.

stevelkaneval
01/06/2008, 04:12 PM
i wouldnt do the under gravel filter, its old school and works for some peaple but its a hinder to others. for flow i would either pick Tunze or the Hydor Korilia. i would do the sump/fuge in one, not a wet dry. there are all kinds of sump designs in the diy forums. thats all i have for now.