PDA

View Full Version : Where's the selection?

dickhordishay
01/06/2008, 05:50 PM
Is it because of the time of year that Liveaquaria seems to have a very, very limited selection of fish?

dfs/la2
01/06/2008, 07:48 PM
dickhordishay,

Thank you for your inquiry. We receive new shipments of live specimens daily; however, they may not be the fish you are looking for. As to why our selection may seem limited, there are many things that affect the availability of live specimens. The weather, religious holidays, and fish and coral management are just a few of the things that may have an affect on what is showing available online. For additional information on availability, please read the article Factors Affecting Availability of Aquatic Life written by the Drs. Foster and Smith’s Educational Staff. We have provided the link below for the article and we hope this information helps. If we can be of additional assistance, please contact our LiveAquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699, via email at CustomerService@LiveAquaria.com, or PM us.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=51

Gwen S.
LiveAquaria

dickhordishay
01/06/2008, 08:37 PM
I realize holidays, weather, etc may effect availabililty of products, but I was just wondering why Liveaquaria has next to nothing in terms of availability. And it's just not specific fish I'm referring to, it's all the fish you offer (or don't offer as the case may be).
Weather is always a concern somewhere in the world. Is it just an after-effect of the holidays? I appreciate the canned "why we don't have this or that" response. I was just wondering why Liveaquaria seems to have very, very little selection lately.

dfs/la2
01/06/2008, 09:06 PM
dickhordishay,

Thank you for your response. While we still have a good selection of fish available, there is a pretty large number of fish through LiveAquaria that are on back order. We will be happy to forward your question to our Aquatic Director and post on Monday. We also wish to mention that any rare fish that are on back order through LiveAquaria may be available through the Diver’s Den section.

Gwen S.
LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

DFS
01/07/2008, 06:20 AM
Dickhordishay,

I am sorry that you do not feel the inventory on LiveAquaria.com is what you had expected. Late December through early January is always a very difficult time in the marine fish industry from a supply standpoint. This can be directly attributed to the Holidays, as numerous export stations slow or even stop the flow of aquatic life thought the pipeline of distribution. When this is combined with the limited freight space on International Airlines during this time of year, it makes it even more risky for these export stations to safely fly marine life around the world in a timely manner to ensure their safety. Furthermore, as Gwen has pointed out, other factors may hinder the supply from specific regions around the world such as the examples listed in the article titled Factors Affecting Availability of Aquatic Life (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=51).

We are currently building stock levels back to where they should be, so please keep visiting the site daily, and I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

SPStoner
01/07/2008, 06:40 AM
Hey Dick,

Not sure where you live buddy, but these guys still have 10 times more fish than any LFS in Cleveland, and a quick internet search has not yielded any better inventory at any other website.

Maybe we are just getting spoiled by the typical 10 pages of $500 fish that when it drops to 5 we are dissapointed?:D

Cheers!

SDguy
01/08/2008, 07:46 AM
Plus, lots of people sitting at home bored during the holidays....they start shopping online and end up buying the fish that are there :D

SPStoner
01/08/2008, 08:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11548667#post11548667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Plus, lots of people sitting at home bored during the holidays....they start shopping online and end up buying the fish that are there :D

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

dickhordishay
01/08/2008, 11:40 AM
I wasn't complaining about the selection, just asking why there seemed to be so few fish offered. I was concerned that there might be some kind of disease outbreak or something. And I only looked at Dr. Foster's website; never bothered to look anywhere else.

I think Dr. Foster's is awesome- as a matter of fact FedEx is pulling in with my fish as I type this. Gotta go!!!!!!!!

snorvich
01/08/2008, 08:35 PM
Hey guys, don't start bashing us poor stay at home guys who check the availability every evening by sitting at the computer.