PDA

View Full Version : some ? bout a frag tank

chris31
01/06/2008, 08:20 PM
ok i want to add a frag i seen ones that are incorparated into the system.so here are some? that i have
1 where in the system would the frag tank go?
2what kind of lighting should i use im think about using a 30 gal tank?
3would it be ok to use a hob filter like a aquaclear one
4 would it have to cycle if it is incorperated into the system?could a hob fuge be put on this tank?
if some1 could answer some of these that would be great thanks

nanoDude
01/06/2008, 08:28 PM
You would probably have better luck in the coral prop/aquaculture forum. In order to answer your questions we need to know a bit more about your system. Also, what types of corals do you want to raise?

Misled
01/06/2008, 08:29 PM
I've just made racks like this to hang in the main tank.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/DSC_0002-8.jpg

chris31
01/06/2008, 08:33 PM
well what else do you nee to know i have a 95 g with a over flow n sump going to be getting a new skimmer and i also have a uv steralize

chris31
01/06/2008, 09:14 PM
anyone?

Roy G. Biv
01/06/2008, 10:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11537359#post11537359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chris31
ok i want to add a frag i seen ones that are incorparated into the system.so here are some? that i have
1 where in the system would the frag tank go?
2what kind of lighting should i use im think about using a 30 gal tank?
3would it be ok to use a hob filter like a aquaclear one
4 would it have to cycle if it is incorperated into the system?could a hob fuge be put on this tank?
if some1 could answer some of these that would be great thanks

1> The common point would be the sump. All tanks should drain there.
2>Depends on the frags you want to keep. Make tiers out of egg crate.
3>No, only if you want it independant of your main. If you link the 2 systems you could swap things back and forth without acclimation.
4>Do it on a day when you would normally do a water change. Just fill your 30 with the water you would have used and turn it on. Once you get this setup, you dont need a hob fuge. Just link a 10 gallon tank in the same fashion as the 30.

main, frag, fuge all sharing a common sump.

chris31
01/07/2008, 01:15 PM
sooo are you saying that i should have the water from the fragtank filter into the sump then almost have like a t off the return to the main tank that goes to frag tank????

CleveYank
01/07/2008, 01:39 PM
1st
if it's sofites you can just put VHO or T5 or PC over it. And you can just have an extra pump in your existing sump and have the overflow from the frag tank empty into your existing sump.
And you will have to have pH in balance and decent water quality.
Plus on dumping both main and frag tank into the same sump is that it's generally one water collumn to test and one setup of skimmer and reactor running the whole shooting match. The downside is if you screw up by the numbers you lose it all baby like craps at vegas.
2nd
if it's SPS (the tough to keep purdy sticks)
You will need the following.
Everything you needed for softies AND.
As PERFECT water quality as you can get.
Alternating current in the frag tank
A firm grasp of the Ca, Alk Mg relationship and a testing method.
A firm grasp of dosing for Ca, Alk and Mg.
A firm grasp of nutrient control and monitoring (nitrate and phosphate are the enemy)
And for lighting you would need T5 or MH.

Still want in?
Well get out your reading glasses and hit the propagation threads and get out your wallet and hang on. Oh and even with a good tank sitter...worry free vacations away from home will become a thing of the past. lol.

But grow your 1st SPS to full size and have 8 of it's genetic identicals with polyps waving almost like a mini xenia only not brown and you'll know you have arrived.

Good Luck.