PDA

View Full Version : 75g return plumbing ideas

gordie72
01/07/2008, 11:31 AM
I am hoping to move up from my current 55 to a 75 (possibly a 90, we'll see) this spring. I have an idea on how I want to do my return(s), but was wanting a little help from those of you with similar set-up. My tank is mainly LPS and leathers/softies with a couple SPS (1 blue-tip acro and 1 red monti) mixed in. So I'm looking for a moderate amount of flow w/o overdoing it. So, anybody want to share their set-ups? Pictures would be huge. Thanks in advance for all the help.

mdbrit
01/07/2008, 12:43 PM
I'd love to see plumbing pics as well. Setting up a new 70g here.
Just simple stuff, complete newbie plumber here, pics would be a huge help.
Cheers.

db_triggerfish
01/07/2008, 01:07 PM
i will post pics later tonight, i picked up most parts at Lowes but one adapter i could not find locally ordered it from marinedepot. i just setup a 75g about a month ago my original plan was to only used a eheim 1250 less flow = less noise coming down then pipe. but could not find the right plumbing fittings for the output which is about 3/8 "in metric. so went with a Ocean Runner 2500 pretty quiet but i notice a little too much flow for me, for most people i think it is a perfect fit. I really want it very quiet. I preferred flow from my Koralia 3's dead silent, than a noisy return pump.

mdbrit
01/07/2008, 02:01 PM
Each time I'm about to order something I find something on the web which makes me change my mind.
I was about to purchase a 1250 for my 70g as the return pump, hence the plumbing Qs. Coudn't you find adapters at Marinedepot for it? It seems to be a popular pump!

db_triggerfish
01/07/2008, 10:28 PM
no, if anyone knows where i will order it tonight. someone said order a 1/2 inch from marinedepot it did not fit. i think the 3/8" with telflon tape works but NOT SURE.

opiumpipez
01/08/2008, 10:53 AM
i used flex pvc for my return eheim1260. i found this much easier than using rigid pvc and didnt have to worry about the metric issue.

90% of my return is flex pvc while my drain is 90% rigid.