PDA

View Full Version : Rare Fishes

swivel
01/07/2008, 07:53 PM
hey i was wondering what are some rare fish i should get for my 12 gallon salt water tank? or if there is a site that sells rare fishes?

limitedslip
01/07/2008, 08:29 PM
Try Divers den on Live aquaria.

they have a nice Fiji golden sailfin blenny and a Dracula shrimp goby that would fit nicely in that size of a tank.

95Harley
01/08/2008, 09:18 AM
You could go with a Dwarf Golden Moray...I think someone on SWF has one for sale in classifieds for $350

Ranzan
01/08/2008, 04:59 PM
12 gal to small i would go atleast 20 before putting dwarf golden in it

Absint Reefer
01/09/2008, 07:40 AM
some of the scorpions are pretty rare and stay small

Charger21_SD
01/09/2008, 02:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11549069#post11549069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 95Harley
You could go with a Dwarf Golden Moray...I think someone on SWF has one for sale in classifieds for $350
Those are a small eel, don't know if it could fit in a 12g because of swimming room, but it is definetly small enough.
Yeah, Brenden is selling them on swf.com or sharkraycentral.com.

LisaD
01/09/2008, 03:36 PM
A few that I think would be good candidates:

A pair of Yasha shrimp gobies and an associated pistol shrimp. The shrimp can be purchased separately. I know from experience that tiger pistol shrimp work with these gobies. While these are not that common, the price is pretty reasonable. The gobies are out and about more than some other very pricey tiny gobies, and they are brilliantly colored.

They are not that rare or expensive, Hawaiian leaf fish are very unusual and not that common. You could might get by with a pair in a tank that size (though I would recommend a bigger tank). Really neat looking fish. You will probably have to feed live food - guppies and ghost shrimp. I've kept these several years and have never had one accept frozen.

A 12 gallon tank is really small. There are a lot of interesting rare and unusual fish I could suggest for 20 or 29 gallon tanks. But with a 12, you are really limited in space and how much bioload you can handle. There aren't even really that many COMMON saltwater fish you can put in a tank that size.

Also not rare, but really cool, are some of the smaller mantis shrimp, such as N wennerae. Try www.stomatopod.com.

For all others, I have had the best luck as to quality, selection and service from liveaquaria.com. Diver's Den is the WYSIWYG section, and has the rarer fish, but try their Collector's Corner, and their regular menu of selections.

You might be able to select some really interesting inverts and corals, with just a few common fish (e.g., clown gobies, neon gobies).