PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sand, etc?

drillsar
01/07/2008, 10:55 PM
Right now Im adding sand, Im approachin it this way:

I moved my rock to one side of my tank and adding a 1/2 inch of sand per week, is this good or can I add more at a time?

Also how deep should the rock be in the sand?

What im trying to do is make a DSB for my tank. Im thinking of getting a fighting conch for this.

Im probably going to aim for 5", at 5" it looks high though, lol

I got the sand from home depot it said from oldcastle but it's not southdown came in a blue bag, real white, is this good sand for the tank? Im guessing when im done I should add a detrius kit to the sand bed. but with fish in here is that a good move?

demonsp
01/07/2008, 11:00 PM
How old is this tank?Lots of stock? Any substrate now?

You want the main LR peices or larger ones on the bottom then sand around.A conch will sift some sand but you need some nass snails and MB a sand sifting goby depending on your setup.

drillsar
01/07/2008, 11:07 PM
The sand I got is called Kolorscape made by oldcastle is this ok? I have like 3" of sand right now, My rock I think will be like 2" or so in the sand bed, should it be more or less? I have like 5 or so Nassarius snails, probably need more, whats a MB? sand sifting goby would eat what?

In my tank now:

3 Clowns soon to be 2, getting rid of 1

Brittle Star

3 or 4 hermits soon to be gone

22 assorted snails

Coral(s) zoo and bubble coral(I think is dying)

demonsp
01/07/2008, 11:12 PM
MB =maybe. Sand sifting gobys get most food from the SB.They sift and turn the bed helping to keep it clean and aid in nitrate control.Mine also eats frozen flake and pellet.
% nass snails good start and if you had a goby i would say enough but without one i woould double it.
If you see no high spikes in water readings from adding then new sand then i would keep doing what your doing .

drillsar
01/07/2008, 11:24 PM
I cant find no info on this kolorsafe sand, Is it safe?