PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about inhabitants for a nano

AberFitchFish
01/07/2008, 11:00 PM
Hello. I am looking to start a nano reef tank.

At the moment, the different setups of habitants I am thinking of are:

1. Pistol Shrimp + Goby
2. Mantis Shrimp
3. Harlequin Shrimp + [small fish-yet to be decided]
4. Seahorse or Pipefish

I have a few questions:

1.What are the different pairs of gobies/pistols that work together. I have been trying to find different pairs that work and have been struggling to find a website/on-line of pics/info on pairs that work. At my local LFS i saw a YWG and a pistol (assuming it was probably a tiger), but I'd really like to get a prettier goby.

2. I saw a mantis shrimp at my LFS and started getting more interested, well, i've been interested ever since reading an article about them ina magazine a few years back... but I'm just curious if there are any breeds that stay fairly small, or ome more interesting colors/patterns than the common peacock kind.

3. What are some good fish/inverts that could be put with Harlequin shrimp? Also, how often do these shrimp need to be fed a starfish?

4. Do any of these combos not work for 10 or 20 high or 15 tall aquarium which would be the nano reef tank I'd be working with.

This would be an aquarium for my dorm, since I can't bring my 75 gallon with me :( lol

black_majik
01/07/2008, 11:14 PM
1) The Pistol Shrimp and Shrimpgoby is a hit or miss. You could get a pair and have an immediate match-up or have two docile animals that can hide so much they don't see each other. I have heard having a active/slightly aggressive fish in the tank will encourage the duo to team-up and have a defense set-up.
2) Mantis are very cool, but you only have a mantis and nothing else plus you need an acrylic tank for the mantis can sometimes crack through the glass
3) Any fish that is on the aggressive side. You want the more active in the fish, slow docile fish will eventually be hunted down.
4) Yes they all can except for the Mantis who needs an acrylic tank.

saltyshoe_nano
01/07/2008, 11:17 PM
check with your college, some wont let anything over 10 gallons but some will allow 20H and 20L....you could go with an all in one deal to, I donno about Seahorse or Pipefish or the Harlequin Shrimp.

I see no problem with Pistol Shrimp + Goby or the Mantis Shrimp.
goodluck :)