PDA

View Full Version : Pickling lime for pH?

NeveSSL
01/08/2008, 03:29 AM
Hi all!

I've heard of some people using pickling lime in the topoff for keeping their pH up. Maybe one tablespoon per gallon into the topoff? I'm not sure, but my pH is low and I was wondering what you guys think about it? Is there a better way to keep my pH up?

Thanks!

Brandon

Mr..Tang
01/08/2008, 04:38 AM
pickling lime = kalkwasser

you can maintain your CA, Alk, and your ph with pickling lime. you need to test as you're dosing to keep from going to high. And as your tank matures, you won't be able to use Kalk alone. You will need to supplement with different chemicals

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/08/2008, 05:45 AM
Many folks, including me, use it for all calcium and alkalinity supplementation. This article has more:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Bri Guy
01/08/2008, 10:51 AM
One gallon of water will not hold any more than 2 tsp (not TBLS) of kalk until fully saturated, any more than that will just precipitate out.

NeveSSL
01/08/2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll do more readying. We're going to have a kalk reactor up for raffle at our Frag Swap thats coming up... maybe I'll get lucky! :D

In the more than slight chance that I don't get it, any recommendations? I may just DIY one. :)

Brandon

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/08/2008, 03:20 PM
FWIW, I prefer dosing from a still reservoir like a trash can, unless you are planning to put it under your stand and space is at a premium.

NeveSSL
01/08/2008, 03:44 PM
I wish I had room for a trashcan. I'm in an apartment. :) I've thought about doing a small trashcan for topoff instead of using the 5g bucket I use now as it would be taller and I could conserve some space behind the tank (its caddy-cornered), but I don't think I could do two.

Our club president did a DIY reactor I'm thinking about doing, or just buying one. :)

Brandon

atvdave
01/08/2008, 03:45 PM
I use Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime mixed into my top-off water to help my system.

In fact I purchased some from your clubs frag swap last year, I don't remember who had it. However my wife found it at walmart.

Also I keep it in a trash can like Randy said.