PDA

View Full Version : Nigricans or Japonicus

Portsmouth Reef
01/08/2008, 03:32 PM
I am confused about the info given for the Whitecheek Tang (Nigricans) and Powder Brown (Japonicus)
One side say that the japonicus has a low survival rate, and the Nigricans is hardy, and the other side say the opposite. I had a Nigricans which only lasted 5 to 6 weeks, then stopped eating. I am tempted to go for the Powder Brown. has anyone any experience of the 2 types of fishes ?
This will be going in to an 8 foot tang

techreef
01/08/2008, 04:03 PM
all i've read say get japonicus, not nigricans. Nigricans is the species that has the low survival rate. Note that japonicus is only better, not perfect. ie it's still a tang, so be ready for a succeptibility to ich and QT beforehand, not afterwards.

nu_beta_2016
01/08/2008, 10:20 PM
I've heard/read the same.

sundancer
01/08/2008, 10:34 PM
I had japonicus for 4 months. He was solid as a rock but I can't get it to be free of ich. I had to give it back to the store.

zemuron114
01/08/2008, 10:34 PM
i have great luck with nigricans from Hawaii and Marshalls. But from what i have read says the japonicus is the way to go as well :)

seapug
01/08/2008, 10:36 PM
Both are tricky but I'm pretty sure Japonicus is the white cheeked variety and considered the hardier/more suitable of the two.

Portsmouth Reef
01/09/2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Japonicus to me

sundancer
01/09/2008, 12:06 AM
Actually, japonicus is the white face variety and nigricans is the white cheek one.

Fischer's Angel
01/09/2008, 12:34 AM
I had a Nigricans for about two years w/no problems swapped him out for an Achilles as the two could not co-exist. I suspect a lot of the problems people have w/Nigricans are the result of the rigors of transporting this fish from capture point to LFS.
If you do go for a Nigricans try to get one from Hawaii (less travel time,better capture methods) and treat much as you would an Achilles (Lots of swimming room,established tank w/lots of greens to munch on,turbulent water movement,no similar tangs in tank).
In my opinion, given these conditions, Nigricans should prove no more challenging than Achilles.:cool:
No opinion on Japonicus as I have never tried one.

mwood
01/09/2008, 10:01 AM
I've read a lot on both powder browns and have read it both ways. I suspect they get confused as they look so similar.

The whitefaced tangs are more common and easier to come by. The whitecheeked are harder to find which may be corralated to the poorer survival rates noted.

DamnPepShrimp
01/09/2008, 10:10 AM
Nigricans is the white cheek tang, also is the true powder brown tang.

Japonicus is the white faced tang, known as the powder brown tang in the hobby, but it's actually not a true powder brown tang.

The Japonicus is supposed to be more hardy, but still very susceptible to ich.

I own a white cheek tang (Nigricans, true powder brown) and he had ich but was eating at the store. So I took him home, he's in QT and no ich and eating like a pig. Hopefully he stays in good health, I am about to add him to my display tank, hopefully my big emperor doesn't bother him.

oct2274
01/09/2008, 01:36 PM
Japonicus is much more hardy and much prettier in my opinion. it is a much better tang for novice to medium saltwater users. As with all tangs you should quarantine for atleast 4 weeks in hypo. Do not treat tangs with copper as it destroys the fauna in their digestive tract.

zemuron114
01/09/2008, 07:17 PM
copper is fine for tangs for a short period of time. I wouldn't recommend 2 months in copper, but 4-6 weeks is fine. Hypo is easier on the fish but harder to keep constant.

sundancer
01/10/2008, 12:20 AM
I have coppered 3 tangs. A powder blue, a purple and an japonicus all 3 times at 4 weeks each with no problems.