PDA

View Full Version : Why does it seem like coral hates me?

alexk3954
01/08/2008, 03:49 PM
My 125 has been running smoothly for a month or so now after about 3 months of cycling. I added all the coral from my 55 in and they have been doing fine so I decided to go and buy a few more. I bought torch coral and it never was fully extended like it was in the store. Now this morning it decides its going to jump out of its skeleton(yes, you read that correctly). I also got a green bubble coral 2 days ago and it also is not extended at all.

some water parameters:
0 nitrates
420 Calcium
10 dKH Alkalinity
8.2 pH
78 degrees F

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/alexreef/IMG_3122.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/alexreef/IMG_3123.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/alexreef/IMG_3124.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q142/alexreef/IMG_3125.jpg

Man, its just one of those days that make you feel like leaving the hobby alltogether. Im feeling so frustrated :(

wegotcrabs
01/08/2008, 04:00 PM
I would start with Mushrooms and zoos- see how they do before adding LPS and softies.

alexk3954
01/08/2008, 04:05 PM
I have a bunch of stuff in there already because I tore down my 55 and added everything from there into the 125. Most of the stuff ( green polyped toadstool, hairy mushrooms, ricordea, zoos, candycanes, etc...) is doing fine, just these two new additions are not doing well.

:
I dont measure phosphate, but I dont feed a lot, and have a phosphate reactor running so phosphate should not be a problem.

The torch is now completely detached so I just took it out of the tank before it pollutes the water.

Swanwillow
01/08/2008, 04:19 PM
try running carbon, incase something is in the system that the new corals can't handle, while your older ones can.

Ritten
01/08/2008, 04:22 PM
Alexk, what is your lighting and do you know what kind of lighting the corals were under at the store and for how long?

alexk3954
01/08/2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the comments

I have carbon in there, I'll try adding some fresh stuff in a bit.

I'm not sure what type of lighting the bubble was under in the store, but it did seem not as brightly lit as my tank, do you think maybe I should move the bubble lower in the tank and see if that helps? I have 8 36" 39watt T5 bulbs all with individual reflectors.

I have a hammer coral about 6" away from the torch and it is looking as happy as ever, so my tank should be healthy enough for LPS...( my acan colony is actually doing far better now than it has in the past)

Sk8r
01/08/2008, 04:53 PM
Phosphates?
And did you acclimate re alk as well as salinity?

alexk3954
01/08/2008, 05:00 PM
Im not sure where my phosphates are at, but this reef is far from overstocked, I am very careful about overfeeding, and I have a phosphate reactor running so I assume I have no phosphates, but I am not sure 100%

I acclimated the corals by floating for 15 minutes, then adding about a shot glass full of reef water to the bag every few minutes for about 20 minutes before adding the corals.

The now looks like it is extending a little more, but still not looking as great as it did in the store, maybe it just needs some more time...

But that torch is still confusing me, anyone know why it would leave its skeleton like that after being in the tank for about a week?

Forgot to mention, salinity is about 1.025-1.026, measured with a refractometer.

m2434
01/08/2008, 05:22 PM
IME the LPS corals can be quite picky about flow and lighting. Almost all problems I've experienced with them have been a result of one or the other. You definitely should have enough light to annoy a bubble coral, I'd keep it low. I'm a little surprised about the torch, they tend to like more light. What do you have for flow?

alexk3954
01/08/2008, 05:43 PM
For flow I have my return pump split to two loclines that are in the center of the tank facing the sides, and on the sides of the tank I have seios pointing at the center. I dont know the exact gallons per hour, but the corals are always moving around gently in the current. Nothing has extreme currents that would blast the coral off of its skeleton or anything.

If I move the bubble coral lower do you think that over the course of a few weeks I could slowly elevate it back to where it is(in the very center of the water column, about one foot from the surface)

Sk8r
01/08/2008, 06:54 PM
Bubbles like shade. They're the only stony I know that does.

Re phosphate: if you have algae you have phosphate. And it is an irritant for corals.

I'm not totally sure on ferrous oxide re corals: it is a metal [iron]. I used it once and wasn't happy with the results. DIdn't lose any corals, but didn't lose much algae either.

Phosphate is the sneakiest thing I know of. Except...have you tested for nitrate and ammonia, just the simple old test strips? THat can creep up on you. Corals can acclimate slowly, a little, though never thriving; but newer corals may react extremely. Just check that and be sure.

chrisalmand
01/08/2008, 08:00 PM
Do you you have any soap/cologne on when yu stick your hands in there? Are the parameters stable? Like, at night is the temp. 75 while midday it is 82?