PDA

View Full Version : BioCube 14 Question

ericgreathouse
01/08/2008, 06:06 PM
I recently setup one of these and the water level is higher than the upper water intake, so it is not skimming the surface. Is this normal? I am using the standard pump.

Also what is the purpose of the maximum water level indicator? What is the problem with having it hgher?

THanks.

dileggi
01/08/2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure on the skimming question at all. I don't have that problem.

As for the water level indicatior, I usually fill mine past the high level indicator. From what I can tell, if the tank is level, there shouldn't be a problem. I have a 29, but I have not had any problems with it so far with the water level above the max line.

Sorry for not having a bunch of info, but hope it helps.

kingfisher62
01/09/2008, 09:23 AM
If you are using bio balls , that is considered a wet dry filter and alot of the balls should actually be out of the water so the water drips on and thru them . If you do not use bioball disregard the max. level indicator.

If you really wanted to you could mod the tank by cutting the skimmer slots all the way to the surface. If you get my drift!

dxtr
01/09/2008, 11:56 AM
it's ok that the water is not surface skimming, mine does this frequently when I top off with Ro/Di water. I removed the BioBallz and replaced with LR rubble and a little cheato int he 2nd chamber.

Draped over the wall to the 3rd chamber I have a modified filter pad to collect detrius and other "undesirables". It also eliminated the falling water or pouring water noise. :D

The MIN/MAX water line I utilize for adding top off water. When it gets down to MIN, I have alot of bubble sint he tank due to not enough water.

I have not had this happen; however, I believe if you fill that 3rd chamber too far past he MAX line, will the tank not overflow over the top?

dileggi
01/09/2008, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11558660#post11558660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dxtr
it's ok that the water is not surface skimming, mine does this frequently when I top off with Ro/Di water. I removed the BioBallz and replaced with LR rubble and a little cheato int he 2nd chamber.

Draped over the wall to the 3rd chamber I have a modified filter pad to collect detrius and other "undesirables". It also eliminated the falling water or pouring water noise. :D

The MIN/MAX water line I utilize for adding top off water. When it gets down to MIN, I have alot of bubble sint he tank due to not enough water.

I have not had this happen; however, I believe if you fill that 3rd chamber too far past he MAX line, will the tank not overflow over the top?

I have the water entering through my first chamber. It goes thru my skimmer and filter pad. It overflows into chamber two. I have the overflow tray in chamber two (still using the bio balls) and I have filter floss on top of the over flow tray. I use my carbon and phosban bags in the bottom of the 3rd (sump) chamber.

I always fill mine above the MAX water line and have had no overflow problems at all.

Now I have a question. If you have cheato in 2nd chamber, how are you getting light to that chamber? Did you remove the stock BC hood?

dxtr
01/09/2008, 10:25 PM
nope. I prop the tank top open for 3-4 hours while the lights are on. Soon I'll be modifying the back to allow light into the chamber for the cheato. It's been in there for about 5 months and is doing OK. It's not flourishing, but it's also not dying.

Weekend experiment for me now = add water past MAX =)

dileggi
01/10/2008, 08:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11563603#post11563603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dxtr
nope. I prop the tank top open for 3-4 hours while the lights are on. Soon I'll be modifying the back to allow light into the chamber for the cheato. It's been in there for about 5 months and is doing OK. It's not flourishing, but it's also not dying.

Weekend experiment for me now = add water past MAX =)

Ahh, I see. On the 29, I don't have that option as my hood is in no way attached to the tank itself, it just sits on top of the tank. I have two openings on my hood, one in the front, aka, the feeding lid and one at the rear to access the chambers.

kingfisher62
01/10/2008, 11:58 AM
dxtr, If the chaeto is not growing or flourishing then you are defeating the purpose of having it. The more growth the more nitrate and phosphate exportation.
I would just put a wad of it in the main tank .I wrap it around the water outlet it stays there and grows fast.

dxtr
01/10/2008, 01:37 PM
Funny you mention that Kingfisher. I was just looking at how you had your Cheato around the return making your flare nozzle look like it had an afro. LOL :D

I was planning on going home after work and doing exactly that! :smokin: Thanks!

kingfisher62
01/10/2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah , it works pretty well. Usually triples in size in a few weeks. just prune it back when it gets to crazy!
good idea to turn it every 3 or 4 days and give it a little shake to clean off the sediment.
hope it works for ya!