PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with these zoos?

PuffersKick
01/08/2008, 08:43 PM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/Kabob101/IMG_0957.jpg

When I bought them they were full and beautiful. And I have zoos all over my tank and this is the only colony doing this.

What's wrong with them and what do/can I do?

killingseed
01/08/2008, 08:49 PM
are those star fish i see around them? might be the cause also i would check for nubi or spiders.

what light are you using and water par.

PuffersKick
01/08/2008, 08:59 PM
yeah, i've got those little stars everywhere, but from everything i've read they are harmless.

running 250W 10K MH.

ordered some 14K bulbs though and will be switching over as soon as they come in.

kawicivic
01/08/2008, 09:09 PM
many people seem to think that asterinas will munch zoos... i have never witnessed this though

Pufferpunk
01/08/2008, 11:42 PM
I've got hundreds of them in my tank. Sometimes I'll peek with a flashlight at night & they are covering the polyp. In the morning though, the polyp is fine. Check the Vitamin C thread too.

otiso777
01/09/2008, 10:06 AM
I've noticed that the asterinas with dark colors on top seem to take bites out of my zoas. They walk onto the colony, and then when they leave some time later, there is a white spot. The zoas then take several days to reopen.

I have to add, it is entirely possible that the zoanthids were injured some other way and the starfish are just eating sick or necrotic tissue off of the zoas.

I have been removing the darker colored asterinas just in case. I know some other people who have no doubts that asterinas will take the occasional bite out of zoanthids.