PDA

View Full Version : are rock flower anemones clown fish safe?

tangafish
01/08/2008, 11:12 PM
i have 2 rock flower anemones in my reef tank, one is burrowed into the substrate the other is attached to a rock. I have 2 pairs of ocellaris clowns (orange and black) in 2 different tanks that i have had for several years, i am going to add one of the pairs to the reef tank just haven't decided which one. I would be devistated if one of them was eaten by the anemone, i haven't had any problem so far with any of the other fish of course nothing of them have tried to play in it either so I just want to be sure. does anyone have any experience with this type of anemone?

aquaruki
01/09/2008, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't have a clue, but I have a couple ideas:

Find out if your anemone is from the Pacific or from the Atlantic. If the latter, it is likely NOT a clown host but rather a clown predator.

Research wetwebmedia and see if you can find your answer there. If you have exhausted all sources, you can email the people who run that web site and ask them about it, they usually respond within a couple of days.

Good luck!

RicksReefs
01/09/2008, 06:42 AM
bad news is, those anemones aren't host anemones for clowns.
good news is, your clowns generally know it, so should be safe with them too.

tangafish
01/09/2008, 11:00 AM
i didn't buy them so no big deal they came with my tbs live rock out of florida i ordered. i did buy them a bubble tip and i have never seen them go near it. The prospect of me putting my clowns in there and becoming dinner for the anemones is just awful. I could even take them to my LFS if i had too i am sure. They are really cool looking i just want to be sure they will be safe.

SNAKEMANVET
01/09/2008, 04:05 PM
I have one with my clowns, they just ignore it. I didn't know that it gets pretty good size.It's about 8''.

gastone
01/09/2008, 04:34 PM
Here's a pic of my amphiprion ephippium that called my Epicystis crucifer home. In the pic the flower anemone was spawning, and the clown was feasting on the sperm.

Sorry for the quality: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/brewsters34/My%20tank/2006_03100163.jpg

Garrett.

tangafish
01/09/2008, 06:58 PM
wow garrett i haven't noticed mine doing that. i am glad to see yours have been ok with your clowns because they are really cool, i have a flourescent green one and kinda of yellow green. snakeman i never realized they got that big! mine still have a longg way to go they are about 4" in diameter now. By the way what do you feed yours? mine loves salad shrimp

SNAKEMANVET
01/09/2008, 07:41 PM
I feed mine silversides and krill dosed with selcon twice a week.

jasonak
01/10/2008, 01:56 AM
man i have two great rock anemones i love them but didnt know they would eat my clowns,that sucks,lol they did eat one of my anemone crabs,but it was my fault,i shooed him into it and the next day i saw his body being spat out the mouth :(

jurrasicjordan
07/11/2010, 09:01 PM
Here's a pic of my amphiprion ephippium that called my Epicystis crucifer home. In the pic the flower anemone was spawning, and the clown was feasting on the sperm.

Sorry for the quality: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/brewsters34/My%20tank/2006_03100163.jpg

Garrett.

ok so the anemone doesnt mind the clownfish? cus i wanted to get a rock flower for my clarkii clownfish.

Banff
07/12/2010, 08:40 AM
I have a rock flower, a Bornemans and an RBTA. The clowns lived in the Bornemans for years, but recently move back and forth between the Bornemans and the RBTA. Both clowns act as though the rock flower does not exist. They have zero interest in it.

JeF4y
07/15/2010, 08:06 AM
They're clown-safe, but my clowns ignore it.

My cleaner shrimp flirts with death when he tries to steal a silverside from the 'nem and the 'nem tries to eat the shrimp over the silverside... So far the shrimp still lives! lol.

bigfitzone
07/18/2015, 11:47 PM
I pulled a Sunburst anemone out of the tide pools and was wondering if my clown fish will be ok.