PDA

View Full Version : Help.....

am3gross
01/09/2008, 12:23 PM
would this work?

i want to clear my tank up of all the floating stuff that is in the water. i have added new carbon pads to the emperor 400, put a filter pad over the return, and also on the drain. i will let that work for a few days to see if that helps any.

BUT.....

if that dont work then i am thinking about taking all the sand out of the tank and going bare bottum. i will fill my 90 gallon fuge up 3/4 the way up for a dsb and plumb in a 75 gallon fuge.
do you think that this will make my water clear with no floating stuff in the water?

tank specs:

210 aga
100 gallon sump
90 gallon fuge

The_Browns
01/09/2008, 12:27 PM
Instead of a filter pad why not not use filter socks. They catch alot more than filter pads.

am3gross
01/09/2008, 12:34 PM
i cant use a filter pad on the return because it is a rubbermade stock tank and the pad actually gets sucked in to the pump. what i ended up doing was taking some eggcrate and put over the hole and then put the pad on that. as for the drain i made a sock out of the blue filter madia. i think that it will get most of the stuff out eventually but i dont want to have to replace the filter everytime i turn around. i would like to set something up so that it will filter its self with minimal up keep. most of the system i have is automated and i was trying to get this the same way.
i have to admit that i am lazy! i will work harder to now to make me not work hard later!.... i hope this makes sense.

The_Browns
01/09/2008, 12:38 PM
The pad will not do it, It's not fine enough. Over time it will eventually settle. Me and my wife bought some felt from one of those fabric stores and made a custom filter sock. Our tank cleared up within 24 hours.

seapug
01/09/2008, 12:44 PM
You need a surface skimmer to truly solve the problem. If you are using a canister filter or HOB you can get one of these:

http://www.californiareefs.com/Assets/7ReefPics/skimmer01.jpg

They are touchy and tend to suck a lot of air when the water level drops from evap, but they do work.

seapug
01/09/2008, 12:48 PM
Edit: This will help with stuff floating and films on the surface. If your problem is with particles in the water, installing a powerhead with a sponge pre-filter to capture junk will help. Aqua Clear makes something called the "quick filter" powerhead attachment that works well. Floating particles tend to go away over time.

tkeracer619
01/09/2008, 12:49 PM
I would get some 100 micron socks and run them once a week or as needed for 24 hours