PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Regulation of Non-Native Fish Species in Wisconsin

DFS
01/10/2008, 10:10 AM
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Wisconsin Council on Invasive Species (Council) has developed administrative rules to identify, classify and control invasive species. This draft rule is up for debate this in the month of January in select cities in Wisconsin.

Currently several aquarium and garden pond species that could potentially become invasive according to the DNR have been identified. These ornamental aquarium and garden pond species could be regulated and placed on a restricted or even a prohibited list, making them illegal to even possess or transfer through the state of Wisconsin.

According to the Wisconsin DNR's fisheries biologist, if the average winter temperature of our lakes, streams and waterways were to warm up in the next 5-10 years, and multiple aquarists were to dump the same species of fish into one of these bodies of water, there could be a possibility that these fish, plants and invertebrates could establish themselves, displace native species, and become invasive.

Protecting our environment and our natural resources is very important to me personally, and I am sure to most of you who frequent this board. In my opinion, the regulation of ornamental aquatic species in the aquarium trade is not the answer, as the implementation and policing of these regulations will consume taxpayer’s money which could be better utilized in other important areas.

Education is the key in my opinion and has a much greater impact to help inform aquarists on how they can be a responsible hobbyist. Currently Drs. Foster and Smith and LiveAquaria.com have already incorporated an education and awareness campaign about invasive species in early 2006 when we became a partner of Habitattitude. Back in 2006, we took a proactive approach to increase awareness and address the issues of invasive species by incorporating an educational and awareness campaign. The campaign informs hobbyists on how they can also adopt a conservation mentality to protect our environment and details the responsibilities we all share as aquarists to protect our environment by not releasing aquarium inhabitants into our native waters.

I am asking for everyone’s assistance here to spread the word with your local fish stores, fish clubs, and aquarium societies, and attend one of the open forum sessions listed below. If the Wisconsin DNR does not hear opposition to their draft, this could lead to an automatic ban on certain species of ornamental aquarium and garden pond fish and invertebrates.

After the Wisconsin Department of Natural Recourses (DNR) hears comments from stakeholders and interested members of the public from the listening sessions listed below, they will revise the draft rule based on the comments received, prior to seeking Natural Resources Board approval for formal public hearings in early 2008.

Below is the schedule, cities and times in Wisconsin:
5:00- Doors Open
5:30- General Overview
6:00- Individual Species Groups Discussions

DATES and LOCATIONS of the Listening Sessions:

January 10, 2008- SPOONER- Spooner Agricultural Research Station W6646 Hwy 70, Spooner, WI

January 11, 2008- RHINELANDER (also 2-4)- Learning Resources Center Theater Nicolet College, 5364 College Dr, Rhinelander,

January 14, 2008- MADISON- McKay Center, UW Arboretum, 1207 Seminole Highway, Madison, WI

January 15, 2008- MILWAUKEE- Governors Room, Tommy Thompson Youth Center (Gate 5) Wisconsin State Fair Park, 640 South 84th Street, Milwaukee, WI

January 16, 2008- GREEN BAY- Brown Co. Central Library Theater, 515 Pine St., Green Bay, WI

January 17, 2008- LACROSSE- La Crosse Central High School Commons (Room 126), 1801 Losey S. Blvd., LaCrosse, WI

For more information on the Do Not Release Program and adopting a conservation mentality please visit:
Habitattitude (http://www.habitattitude.net/)

For more information on the Wisconsin DNR's Draft Invasive Species Identification, Classification and Control Rule please visit:
Wisconsin DNR Invasive Species Classification (http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/invasives/classification/)

I hope that you can pass this information along to other concerned aquarium hobbyists and anglers, and please attend one or more of these sessions so your opinion can be heard.

Regards,
Kevin Kohen
Director of LiveAquaria
Drs. Foster and Smith

Reefvette
01/10/2008, 01:49 PM
Kevin,

I have to disagree with you on the regulation of species. We as people are not responsible enough. The educational oppurtunity you offer to people in Wisc. will help but its not going to stop any further damage when people cant provide the right habitat for species that they aquire.

In NJ along with California they have regulations on animals and it has helped.

In all reality, these regulations are needed to insure that those who bring in those species deemed restricted will get fines and penalties. This will slowly begin to force people to be responsible.

In NJ we have so many problems with invasive species attacking the banks of our man mad lakes and animals like LION fish showing up in NJ. From a dealers standpoint i can see why you dont want it.

From an enviromental stand point it will curb the release of animals into local waterways and ponds by stopping them from even entering the system.

snorvich
01/10/2008, 04:32 PM
In theory all legislation will cause people to act as the legislation intends. In reality, there are always unintended consequences.

There are no salt water bodies in Wisconsin. Perhaps the laws may be effective in NJ, but I tend to doubt it.

Reefvette
01/10/2008, 10:22 PM
Please click on the link that is provided by ken regarding fish that are regulated.