PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon experience

KOZMOBC
01/10/2008, 02:56 PM
I know that blue ribbon eels are difficult to keep only because of what i read. I was wondering if someone could share experience with, tips on getting them to eat(as this is the most prevailant problem I have read about), and recommondations for keeping. I am quite interested in adding one to a livestock wish list on a new tank in the works.

thanks

EdKruzel
01/10/2008, 04:34 PM
I've tried on numerous occasions and almost all learned to eat fairly quick, but the only one that lived for any decent length of time (a bit over 3yrs) was in a tank alone. Even with very peaceful tankmates the others perished in less than a month.

KOZMOBC
01/11/2008, 01:29 AM
thank you for your insite i guess i will not try only to fail (i see no reason tring to keep somthing that shouldn't be kept), there are other species that do well in captivity. maybe then can someone suggest another species? thank you again edkruzel for your response and cander.

cyclops23
01/11/2008, 11:32 AM
how big is the new tank? there's a couple eels that will work well in a bigger tank.
zebra(i'm getting one fo these for my 125g)
snowflake
i'm sure there's others, you just have to watch what fish you put in with them.

justinl
01/11/2008, 03:49 PM
Ive always wanted to try my hand with a white ribbon eel (which technically isnt very closely related to the blue). interesting looking animal that does much better than the blue in captivity.

LisaD
01/11/2008, 04:46 PM
I haven't kept this eel, but I understand it's quite a bit more likely to do well.

KOZMOBC
01/11/2008, 05:59 PM
as far as tank size that was going to be my next question. i will have the new 72 bow reef, the 55 is going to aggresive fish only. i'm thinkng that either tank will be to small but i guess i just like getting my hopes up only to be dashed by reality, really i'm hoping that someone will share that it is possible in my tank sizes(kind of running into a space prob at the house).