PDA

View Full Version : Seriatopora hystrix (pink birdsnest) not lookin so hot?

ReefTECK
01/10/2008, 03:33 PM
So I came home after work and I noticed that the polyps on my birds nest are all withdrawn inward, my pH was not buffered this morning when I woke up and left (I forgot) so it was sitting around 7.95 from the overnight accumulation of CO2.

I added kalk got it up to 8.22, all my other parameters are fine, in fact my acroporas look great, as do my clams, the porties and pavona right next to this seriatopora.

Could my lowered pH conditions have triggered it to withdrawl? My porties withdraws for a couple of days on occasion to shed his waxy coat and rid him self of waste (defication through exfoliation). Does a birds nest do something similar.

pH:8.22
dKh:9
NH3, NO2: 0ppm
NO3: 5-7ppm
PO4: undetectable down to .5 ppm
Salinity:34ppt 1.023

any ideas?

a2fire2i
01/10/2008, 03:35 PM
Sure a crab or shrimp or some else just didnt bother it making the polyps close up? Do you know what your alk, ca and mag are?

ReefTECK
01/10/2008, 03:42 PM
no I'm not sure something didn't just recently bother him, I guess I just love this piece soo much I'm a little worried about those tiny little polyps!

um alk, isn't that dKh, so mine would be 9 dKh which converts to 158ppm. I've been working on raising that one up.

I've gotta calcium reactor on the tank, but my pH hasn't been high enough for the controller to begin the injection of CO2 at all today, (it is now), yesterday CA was at 440ppm, probably has dropped significantly with the low pH event.

I don't have a magnesium test kit, I've been putting it off with all my recent expenses. I've been doing regular water changes hopefully that helps a little bit. I'm considering running some dolomite in my CA reactor for magnesium enhancement if I discover I am deficient in that area.