PDA

View Full Version : PH meter placement and ALK question

masonicman
01/11/2008, 06:00 AM
1 I've decided to get a pin point PH meter. Can the probe be place in my HOB refugium in order to save space in the display tank.

2 What is the recommended ALK for a fish and soft coral tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2008, 07:47 AM
It can be placed anywhere with a couple of concerns. The Pinpoint can be susceptible to the excessive emissions from certain reef lighting systems. So you may get odd readings when the lights are on if it is too close to a light or a ballast. Sometimes battery works better than AC as interference can also go through the AC.

Also, if the flow is low enough, you can get a slightly different pH in a refugium than in the tank. You can always check that.

I recommend 2.5-4 meq/L (7-11 dKH) for any tank where you have corals or coralline algae. :)

an411
01/11/2008, 08:56 AM
SO is suggested that you get a better more accurate reading when the lights are off?

masonicman
01/11/2008, 08:58 AM
Randy, It seems that allot of reef members mention your replies and threads on this forum. I take allot of your advice and it works most of the time. Thanks.......

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2008, 09:09 AM
SO is suggested that you get a better more accurate reading when the lights are off?

If the reading is stable (not jumping around second to second). and you do not notice a sudden jump up or downward in pH when the lights go off, then there is no concern. Some folks measure pH in a cup of water away from the tank to eliminate such issues.

FWIW, I would try it exactly how you want it first for convenience and go from there if there are issues.

Randy, It seems that allot of reef members mention your replies and threads on this forum. I take allot of your advice and it works most of the time. Thanks.......

You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words. :)