PDA

View Full Version : New Hitchhiker discovered...WOW!!!!/question?

Alexa&Walt
01/11/2008, 06:49 AM
Well, we've had our 65gal reef tank for 11months now...and we're never CEASED TO BE AMAZED.

This morning, we're feeding the fish...and watching our growing colony of 8 Zoanthids catch the shrimp...when I notice something on the Rock behind.

Lo and hehold, it's a starfish...very small (about the size of a dime).

He/She's white in color....and slowly moved across the rock and out of sight.

Two questions:

1. Since he's white (and very immature) is there any way of knowing what kind of starfish he might be?

2. Will he harm my reef/corals or will my fish try and eat him. Apparently, they haven't thus far.

Thanks...

Alexa and Walt
Birmingham, Alabama

taillonjohn
01/11/2008, 07:45 AM
did it have skinny long arms/tentacles? If yes, I say its a micro-serpert or brittle star. Its safe, it'll be part of the clean up crew

Alexa&Walt
01/11/2008, 08:21 AM
It looks just like a normal white star fish...only very small.

Perhaps a sand sifter...

Do they change colors as they mature or is he gonna be white all his life?

NirvanaFan
01/11/2008, 09:15 AM
sounds more like an asterina star to me.

Alexa&Walt
01/11/2008, 09:19 AM
Good star fish or bad star fish?

rbrusletto
01/11/2008, 09:21 AM
could be asterina also, does it look like this?

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0105/astrina.jpg

NirvanaFan
01/11/2008, 09:40 AM
good. have a read here
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/asterinafaqs.htm

Alexa&Walt
01/11/2008, 09:43 AM
again, he/she's very small...about the size of a dime....but with 5 arms and very symetrical....

Sk8r
01/11/2008, 09:50 AM
symmetrical is unusual and dime-sized would be 1/4 inch larger than most asterinas.

Knowing the habits of almost all stars, I'd catch that little guy and raise him to size in the sump where detritus will be his only food.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/11/2008, 09:52 AM
I'd have to agree that finding new and unexpected things that come in with live rock is one of the coolest things about this hobby. I've got many things in my tank that I did not intentionally add, including many tiny brittle starfish.

It is also a drawback of certain kinds of live rock that have very little life on it, although I know some folks prefer that to avoid undesirable species of various sorts.

camlov2
01/11/2008, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have a good link that shows the big brothers and sisters for the asterina? I have one in my tank that sounds nearly identical and though it was strange that it was getting so big. I would like to read up on the other types of stars that it might be.
Brian

stevelkaneval
01/11/2008, 10:55 AM
Does the star have fat arms or are they really skinny with what look like needles comeing off the arm?

Alexa&Walt
01/11/2008, 11:02 AM
Seriously, it looks just like a white star fish....only in miniture...

NirvanaFan
01/11/2008, 12:09 PM
There are star fish with only 5 arms, some with 8, some even have as many as 16 arms. Some arms are short, fat, long, skinny, have thorns on them, or hair like things on them.

You're probably going to have to give us a better description for anyone to ID it. A picture would really help too.

rustybucket145
01/11/2008, 12:44 PM
Saying it 'looks like a starfish' doesn't really say anything at all..... There are literally thousands of kinds of starfish. Unless you can give a better description or supply some pics there's really no way of anyone identifying it for you.

I'd lean toward Asterina right now. I have seen quite a few of them in my tank that have 5 legs and are very symmetrical. I doubt they stay symmetrical forever, I just see them at the right time.

phenom5
01/11/2008, 12:47 PM
My vote would still be asterina, based on the description. I've had some in my tank that got pretty big before they split. Any way you can get a picture of it?

hyrumbradshaw
01/11/2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah I had some of those in my tank and they even multiplied.....until I added my diamond goby, I caught him munching on one once and I have not seen any in a long while haha.

ken123
01/11/2008, 01:07 PM
Does it look like the third one down all the way to the right?

Click here for ID. (http://www.melevsreef.com/id/crawls.html)

Alexa&Walt
01/11/2008, 03:31 PM
I'll take a photo and send....I do have a diamond goby and he may eat him/them.

Dunno....