PDA

View Full Version : Monti eating nudis just disappear?

SDguy
01/12/2008, 12:07 PM
I had very few montis in my tank anyways after most declined (turned grey) due to unknown reasons (suspect high nutrient levels). Then, months later, after a frag swap at my place, I ended up with some nudis. They were soon visible on all caps, and my purple haze. Orange digi and unknown verrucosa were not affected. They multiplied surprisingly quickly. Well they polished off the purple haze quick, and I was just planning on letting them finish off the rest of my montis. Considering how many there were at this point, it would be a quick death :)

It's been weeks now, and I can't find even one. Caps are growing, with no affected areas. Purple haze on the tank floor which they apparently did not find, is growing well. Orange digi and verrucosa remain unaffected.

So what happened?? Do they come in waves? Weeks, months apart? No new fish were added, so I'm not sure that anything ate them....

mixed_reefer
01/12/2008, 03:49 PM
What are your fish?

SPStoner
01/12/2008, 03:53 PM
Peter-

I have heard of them dying off on their own, and also heard of them disappearing and showing back up months later. Possible that some of your fish are eating them. Any wrasse in your tank? Are you checking at night after the tank lights are out? One of my friends noticed them in his tank this way. Used a flashlight and saw them on the underside of a cap colony, but only at night..

emoutz
01/12/2008, 06:18 PM
Same thing happened to me. Nudis wiped out a couple montis, including 90% of an orange cap colony. Also attacked my orange digi. Then, suddenly, they died out and the last of my cap is starting to grow. Dont have a wrasse - only thing new that I added was coral banded shrimp. Have looked at night but dont see them. I'm going to wait a month or two and then get some new montis.

SDguy
01/12/2008, 08:13 PM
I look when I wake up in the morning....5am....nothing.

Only wrasse is a lubbocks....He's been in there since day one....

I'll just wait and see....I guess.....no plans on buying any montis anyways, so no biggie either way :)