PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!!! Sequence Reeflo pump NOISE

THP
01/12/2008, 12:31 PM
Can someone chim me in please on these Reeflo pumps. The thing is making alot of noise!! Sounds like a dry bearing much like you would get on a worn automotive drive belt pulley or something.

At first, I thought it may be a grain of argonite or a small snail logged in the pump but the impeller is clean and no problems there. With the impeller off, if I turn the shaft I can hear the noise but obviously not as loud as when its spinning at 1700 rpm. So, I pulled the foot off in hopes that I can get the fan cover out but not so. I don't know if I can yank on that thing or turn it and I'm hoping someone here can tell me how to remove it. The manufacturer seems like some fly by night **** outfit cause I just called and never even got a voice mail. What company does not have an answering service!!!!!! Rumor has it they have a few different pumps that they use so if thats of importance, the one I have is using a Fasco pump.

I have hear that there is a washer between the impeller and the electrical pump that can move and cause the noise but thats not the problem. The washer is dead center and is not touching either side.

Can someone help please? How does the fan cover come out and what do I need to do to fix the problem?:mad2:

BreadmanMike
01/12/2008, 12:41 PM
How old is the pump? Did you pull the impeller all the way out to see if there was calcium buildup on it?

THP
01/12/2008, 12:45 PM
The pump is 6 months old. Its run for a total of probably 3 weeks and the tank is empty other than live rock. I have not started calcium dosing but I don't discount any buildup occuring. To give you some background on the pump, its used for a closed loop on an oceans motions 4 way.

When you say pull the impeller all the way out do you mean just pulling the grey impeller which generates the water flow? If so then yes, I've removed it completly and I don't see any dirt or build up on that. The shaft looks fine, a little rust or maybe thats the sealant not sure.

rpeeples
01/12/2008, 01:31 PM
Is it the Dart? And is a faint noise or noticebly loud?

I had to return two Reeflo Dart pumps due to faulty bearings. Their Customer Service is terrific.

Just give them a call and tell them your situation and I am confident they will resolve your issue.

THP
01/12/2008, 03:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11583355#post11583355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rpeeples
Is it the Dart? And is a faint noise or noticebly loud?

I had to return two Reeflo Dart pumps due to faulty bearings. Their Customer Service is terrific.

Just give them a call and tell them your situation and I am confident they will resolve your issue.

Yes, it is a Dart. The noise is quite loud and I have to agree with you, it is probably a bearing. I've had pulleys on drive belts wear bearings before and the sound is much the same. I will try calling them again on Monday. Like I say, I called them today and got an endless ring. Not even voice mail!!!!!! Its quite upsetting though as I'll likely need to ship this pump out and wait for months at a time.

THP
01/12/2008, 03:36 PM
By the way, would someone have their number? Maybe the one I've used is wrong.

dougchambers
01/13/2008, 01:10 AM
Here is their website: http://www.mdminc.com/

Contact Information

Postal address
MDM Incorporated
325 Karen Lane
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
800-447-8342 (Toll Free)
719-634-8202 (Phone)
719-634-8317 (Fax)

Hours of Operation
M-F 8:00am - 4:00pm Mountain Time

Electronic mail
General Information: info@mdminc.com
Sales: sales@mdminc.com
Customer Support: support@mdminc.com
Webmaster: webmaster@mdminc.com

I was working with Brian on a seal replacement for our 4200SEQ12 (Dart equiv) that has been in service for over 2.5 years.

-Doug

THP
01/13/2008, 11:42 AM
Thank very much for the contact information. I will call them Monday to see if they can help. By the way, did you have to send your pump back to them and what was the turnaround time?

Cheers
Trev

golf nut
01/13/2008, 11:44 AM
check your PM's

dougchambers
01/13/2008, 12:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11589644#post11589644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THP
Thank very much for the contact information. I will call them Monday to see if they can help. By the way, did you have to send your pump back to them and what was the turnaround time?

Cheers
Trev We didn't send ours in. I ordered a set of seals and replaced them in the garage. Everything is back up and running just like new...

One other thing you might check is the fan shroud. When we put ours back together, we had a slight rubbing between the fan and shroud that was very annoying. I must have tweaked the fan a touch during the rebuild.

-Doug

mpdharley
01/13/2008, 01:51 PM
You can also get a sound that sounds like bearings rubbing from a "guard" on the drive shaft. There is a small disc on the drive shaft towards the motor. It is designed to keep water from getting back into the motor. If it walks toward either side (motor or impeller) you can get the sound. Carefully take a screw driver and walk it back towards the center of the shaft.

I've had it happen once.

Mike

THP
01/13/2008, 06:28 PM
How do you get the fan cover off? This was the first thing I wanted to check but don't know if I can simply yank the thing off or twist or what????? Also, the washer between the impeller and pump motor is not the problem. Its dead center.

dougchambers
01/13/2008, 07:43 PM
There are four screws that hold the fan cover in-place. If I recall, they are take a 1/8" socket or wrench.

rpeeples
01/13/2008, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11584085#post11584085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THP
Yes, it is a Dart. The noise is quite loud and I have to agree with you, it is probably a bearing. I've had pulleys on drive belts wear bearings before and the sound is much the same. I will try calling them again on Monday. Like I say, I called them today and got an endless ring. Not even voice mail!!!!!! Its quite upsetting though as I'll likely need to ship this pump out and wait for months at a time.

I know its a tough position to be pumpless if in-fact it is a bearing which needs to be replaced. I am actually planning on carrying a spare pump in case either of my darts go out again.

I believe Paula, from Reeflo handle my replacement expediously and I received it in less than a week. I didn't have to send the broken one in first, but rather return the bad pump once the new pump arrived.

I would check the other items listed by folks...it could be the washer on the shaft or the housing cover??

Good luck.

THP
01/13/2008, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11592680#post11592680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dougchambers
There are four screws that hold the fan cover in-place. If I recall, they are take a 1/8" socket or wrench.

There are 4 such screws against the motor (between the impeller and motor). I will check this tomorrow.

Reef Happy
01/13/2008, 10:17 PM
I was considering the dart, but am hearing alot of noise problems from people and reviews on websites. I am hearing good reviews about the sequencer snapper. What is the opionions out there. I am also considering the dolphin external. I hear they are quiet...

mpdharley
01/14/2008, 06:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11594009#post11594009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D.G.
I was considering the dart, but am hearing alot of noise problems from people and reviews on websites. I am hearing good reviews about the sequencer snapper. What is the opionions out there. I am also considering the dolphin external. I hear they are quiet...

I own two Darts. One is in use (main return) and one was in use for my closed loop, but I took down my CL and installed Vortech pumps. Now, the second Dart will be a backup to my first to allow maintenance, etc.

I initially had some problems with it, but the company was great to deal with and for over a year, I haven't had any problems with either of my Darts (the CL was just taken down about a month ago).

Mike

teog
01/14/2008, 09:07 AM
I have had a dart for about two years and have had to replace twice for the bearing noise. Even though Ive had issues I would buy another one since ther CS is awesome.

THP
01/14/2008, 02:12 PM
Really? If I had to replace every year I would only be sticking with Dart because the warranty would cover replacement. Knowing what I know now I would never touch a Dart again!!! If a pump does not last 3+ years without problem then its garbage in my opinion.

Customer Service appears to be good though. MDM told me they don't handle Reeflow warrenties and gave me a different number for those. The guy who answered was helpfull and said (SAID) he will UPS a replacement to me which should arrive by Friday. Once I get the replacement I can worry about shipping the faulty one back. Sorry if I sound skeptical but I have heard great promises countless times and great claims of how good some product may be only to find out the complete oposite. Hopefully this guy prooves me wrong and sends me a perfect pump destined to work trouble free for years.

teog
01/14/2008, 04:50 PM
Since being in this hobby Ive had to replace a tunze stream, a seio 1500, a 250 watt AB mh bulb, multiple mag pumps and even a euroreef skimmer. These are all high end items with the exception of the seio and mag. Everyone has manufacturing defects and not everyone will give such a great warranty and service as does reeflo.

Ive had a couple of mag pumps burn up on me within the first year and since I didnt keep the receipt they didnt replace them. Seio gave me a refurbished pump after my new one failed less than 1 months old. AB prorated me the price difference when one of my bulbs turned way too yellow prematurely.

Reeflo sent me a refurbished pump with no questions asked with my pump that was a over 1 yr old. Second pump I belive was my problem since I found a few crab shells in the impellar. But they still replaced it no questions asked.

If you do a search you will find many happy folks who run reeflo pumps and are happy with them. I can tell you Ive run both iwaki and panworld pumps and by far my dart is far more quiter, flows more water and draws less power.

Because no piece of equipment is fool proof, you should always have a back up pump. I use a mag 18 to mix saltwater with and it serves as back pump.

Good luck to you.

rpeeples
01/14/2008, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11599447#post11599447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teog
Since being in this hobby Ive had to replace a tunze stream, a seio 1500, a 250 watt AB mh bulb, multiple mag pumps and even a euroreef skimmer. These are all high end items with the exception of the seio and mag. Everyone has manufacturing defects and not everyone will give such a great warranty and service as does reeflo.

Ive had a couple of mag pumps burn up on me within the first year and since I didnt keep the receipt they didnt replace them. Seio gave me a refurbished pump after my new one failed less than 1 months old. AB prorated me the price difference when one of my bulbs turned way too yellow prematurely.

Reeflo sent me a refurbished pump with no questions asked with my pump that was a over 1 yr old. Second pump I belive was my problem since I found a few crab shells in the impellar. But they still replaced it no questions asked.

If you do a search you will find many happy folks who run reeflo pumps and are happy with them. I can tell you Ive run both iwaki and panworld pumps and by far my dart is far more quiter, flows more water and draws less power.

Because no piece of equipment is fool proof, you should always have a back up pump. I use a mag 18 to mix saltwater with and it serves as back pump.

Good luck to you.

Well said!

CHASDB
01/14/2008, 11:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11594009#post11594009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D.G.

I have both the dart and the snapper. They have the same A. O. Smith motor and pump housing just different impeller. My pumps are both quiet but one is now putting out stray voltage into the tank. I'll be calling Reeflow about a swap. That 3 yr warranty is great!

THP
01/15/2008, 07:12 AM
So be it! Hopefully no one here gets the wrong impression. I truely appreciate everyones help and in fact, I too was surprised at Reeflo's "no questions asked" response and their offer to simply send me a new one without the previous. What really gets me going is that my previous tank had a terrible pump which failed every 10 months for the 5+ years I kept that 90g reef. Sure the warrenty covered it free of charge and yes I had a second as a backup but thats far from acceptable -- at least for me anyway. When I upgraded to this 180, I swore to not make that mistake again. All I can say is I've been foiled with all kinds of claims just to make a sale and to tell you the truth I'm sick of it. I am giving Dart a chance but lets see what comes of it.

THP
01/16/2008, 06:53 AM
Aright, I have to say that I am COMPLETELY impressed with Reeflo's service! I called one of the 800 numbers and spoke to Chris. Without question he offered to ship a replacement pump to me by this Friday without even receiving my faulty one. Next day I get a call from a local distributor saying I can come and pick the pump up at his shop! Fantastic!!!!!! Now that is customer service and I have to say that type of service is near extinct. These guys are right on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Chris and Golf_Nut

teog
01/16/2008, 11:20 AM
Sounds good to me. Im glad it worked out.