PDA

View Full Version : Noob Plumbing Question

customdusty
01/12/2008, 06:29 PM
OK, so maybe I am totally over analyzing this, or perhaps my LFS is full of idiots....

Anyhow, I am plumbing up my new 90g reef ready tank with a wet/dry sump. The distance from the bottom of the bulkhead to the top of the sump input is about an inch. LFS provided me with a 1 inch diameter 3' long bend-able hose to connect the two.

So my question.... The hose has go from the bulkhead, loop and hang down, and then goes back up to go to go into the sump. Does the overflow drain through the bulk head work solely on gravity, or as a siphon? I don't see if it is gravity how the water can flow "up" to get back up to the sump.

My crude hose path "H" that I am in question of is below.

Bulkhead output
(==)
H HHHHH
H H H
H H (==)
H H sump input
H H
HHHHHHH

seapug
01/12/2008, 06:35 PM
Hard to understand what you are describing, but loops and uphill "climbs" on a siphon are a recipe for disaster. You can get surges or worse, an air pocket that causes a complete loss of siphon. I'd put the sump a little lower or rethink the plumbing job.

sick1166
01/12/2008, 06:41 PM
it will pressure will force it up to the wet dry i promise it will work

Sk8r
01/12/2008, 06:41 PM
The return pump in the end chamber of your sump drives it back up to the display.

seapug
01/12/2008, 06:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11585274#post11585274 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
The return pump in the end chamber of your sump drives it back up to the display.

but if the end of the drain pipe into the sump is not submerged in the sump water you won't get "suction" from the return pump to pull it through the loops and vertical climbs.

customdusty
01/12/2008, 06:59 PM
Jeez... I feel like an idiot. My text drawing didn't work.

My plumbing from the return pump back up to the display is fine, I am just trying to figure out how the flow in between the bulkhead to the input on the sump will work.

I will try and post a pic.

reefergeorge
01/12/2008, 07:03 PM
It will work because the sump is lower than the tank. The drain hose could go down 10' and back up 8' to your sump, and it will still work. Good luck

customdusty
01/12/2008, 07:19 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=236111

Ok so maybe there is more than an inch difference between the sump and the bulkhead, but right now in the picture, there is no water in the hose so I expect it will sag quite a bit further.

customdusty
01/12/2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry. I am struggling big time today. Too much traveling and work.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/174954Plumbing.jpg

Percula9
01/12/2008, 07:50 PM
You just need to have a drain hose that is short enough to be straight into your sump. If not then you could plumb it with PVC. It might work the way it is but your drain will be slower.

clevername
01/12/2008, 08:00 PM
Its still below your tank, so that will defiantly work.

Physics, which is surprising your an engineer.......

customdusty
01/12/2008, 09:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11585848#post11585848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clevername2000
Its still below your tank, so that will defiantly work.

Physics, which is surprising your an engineer.......

I know, can't you tell? I analyze risk for a living.... I should just take a Xanax and go with my gut feeling. I just want to make sure I don't do something incredibly stupid, hence my over analyzing statement in the beginning of the thread.

Ziggy953
01/12/2008, 09:22 PM
No worries...I'm sure the last thing you wanted was to wake up to go pee in the middle of the night to find a flood on your floor. It will work the way you have it but I would suggest modifying it in the near future! Believe me when you get going a little more in the hobby you will understand why changing out that line will make a difference. Bottom line is it WILL work. Gravity and all ;-)

clevername
01/13/2008, 07:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11586416#post11586416 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customdusty
I know, can't you tell? I analyze risk for a living.... I should just take a Xanax and go with my gut feeling. I just want to make sure I don't do something incredibly stupid, hence my over analyzing statement in the beginning of the thread.

Ah no worries mate! The setup will work, in this hobby you NEED that over analytical side otherwise you’ll be the one swimming in water :) Trust your education & common sense and you'll have a great tank! BTW good choice on the 90G; i wimped out.

BTW: i live in Batavia, where do you get your fish.
You should hope on over to
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=180

it Reef Centrals Thread for Chicagoland. I'v have gotten tons fo free fish/corals and help.

Leafer
01/13/2008, 08:27 PM
It looks like you can make a nice pvc connection there and even include a union.

customdusty
01/13/2008, 08:34 PM
The picture is really deceiving as the camera angle is looking up. There really isn't much of a gap, a 1" PVC elbow on the bulkhead and another on the input of the sump may not fit.

Leafer
01/13/2008, 09:17 PM
I hate being cramped thats why with my next set up I will plumb the sump down in the basement. I assume you don't want to get into that at this point.

customdusty
01/13/2008, 09:38 PM
I don't have a basement, and the tank is also on and adjacent to external walls, so no fish room next to or behind is possible.

customdusty
01/13/2008, 09:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11592577#post11592577 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clevername2000
Ah no worries mate! The setup will work, in this hobby you NEED that over analytical side otherwise you’ll be the one swimming in water :) Trust your education & common sense and you'll have a great tank! BTW good choice on the 90G; i wimped out.

BTW: i live in Batavia, where do you get your fish.
You should hope on over to
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=180

it Reef Centrals Thread for Chicagoland. I'v have gotten tons fo free fish/corals and help.

I go on the Chicagoland forum fairly often. I don't have any fish yet, as I am just setting up my new tank. I bought it at Sea Escapes in South Elgin and have also been to Reef Plus in North Aurora a few times to check it out.

clevername
01/14/2008, 10:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11593692#post11593692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customdusty
I go on the Chicagoland forum fairly often. I don't have any fish yet, as I am just setting up my new tank. I bought it at Sea Escapes in South Elgin and have also been to Reef Plus in North Aurora a few times to check it out.

Sea Escapes little far but seems there prices are always high. Also there are few corals.

Steve at Reef Plus just got a new coral tank 2 weeks ago. Just in time for your new tank, should be stocked up soon.