PDA

View Full Version : DIY Nilsen reactor question

spazthecat
01/13/2008, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I was going to build my own kalk reactor out of 4 inch PVC and question about the height. Most plans I've seen recommend building it tall enough to hold the volume to cover what evaporates from your tank each day. I understand the rational for that (I think) but I was planning on plumbing it directly to my RO water system so it will always have a constant supply of water.

When doing it in this fashion, is there any reason it needs to be taller than 24 inches? Home depot sells 4 inch PVC in 24 inch sections. The volume my tank evaporates would require about 36 inches.

Thanks,

Andy

Dave Dunbar
01/14/2008, 08:07 PM
Hello
I made mine using the PM reactor for a guide. Its only 24" tall
Are you going to use some kind of a stirrer? I think that making the reactor the size of evaporated water per/day is too make sure the Kalk is stirred good. I have mine using a MJ 400 on a timer to stir for 15 at night seems I use about 2 1/2 gal aday and most is lost in the day (we has a setback T-stat) Just make sure you add the Limewater slowly so not to upset PH.
hope this helps
Dave

kgross
01/14/2008, 08:10 PM
The only advantage to the taller unit, is there is less chance of undisolved kalk making it to your tank. 24 inches tall should be fine, but if you have the room, moving up to 36 will just make it safer to use.

Kim