PDA

View Full Version : Fallow tank?

Siouxish
01/13/2008, 12:54 PM
I've got a long-term, but minor case of ich that never seems to go away. Some fish have consistantly (tangs), while others don't seem to get it (angels). I've many various soft-corals and obviously can't treat the main tank with anything. No fish has ever died, but I can tell they are in discomfort plenty of the time.

I'm seriously considering removing all the fish to another tank treated with copper without the corals, and letting the main tank go fallow for a few months.

I've got many crabs, snails, starfish, etc. in the main tank. Should I keep these in the main fallow tank, or remove them to their own separate tank as well?

What are your thoughts?

Billybeau1
01/13/2008, 01:01 PM
You may want to consider hyposalinity.

If you have the patience and it is done right, it should cure your problem.

If you get the least bit of copper into your main tank, it could spell disaster for your inverts.

james37128
01/13/2008, 01:04 PM
There is a huge discussion out there on UV sterilizers. I think one might really help you if you keep having outbreaks of these parasites. What you might find is killing the parasite that causes marine ick is really difficult to kill even with UV. Sometimes it takes high wattage, with very low flow through the sterilizer. And lastly, if you have a lot of corals it might also kill the beneficial microalgae in your tank. So to UV or not to UV, maybe something to look into.

Billybeau1
01/13/2008, 01:08 PM
UV sterilizers will only kill what goes through it. It will do nothing for the parasite hosting a fish.

And I do not believe uv kills beneficial bacteria. At least it hasn't been proven yet that I know of.

Siouxish
01/13/2008, 01:17 PM
As for Hyposalinity, I cannot use this approach because of inverts.

Also, I have been using a 36w UV sterilizer on this tank and maybe it helps keep the ich at lower levels, but it does not rid the tank of them.

Is there anyone out there that has let their tank go fallow, and what were your results?

Billybeau1
01/13/2008, 01:54 PM
I meant hyposalinity in a quarantine tank. At the same time your main tank will be cured because without a host, the parasite cannot survive.

If you have the patience this can be very effective. :)

bertoni
01/13/2008, 04:17 PM
The inverts can stay in the main tank. They can't be infected. I'd quarantine the fish in a separate tank for 8 weeks, and treat with copper or hyposalinity.

james37128
01/14/2008, 12:04 PM
UV killing the beneficial bacteria, I don't see a problem but some people SAY it happends. I have not seen any proof either. The reason i mentioned the UV was, a while ago my UV light went out. Before i realized it was out, my tank broke out with Ick. I replaced the UV, freshwater dipped all the affected fish, and since haven't had a problem. Check the flow going through your UV, if its going to fast it can't kill anything. You will definatly have to do something to kill the parasite on the fish though. UV alone will not kill the spots on the fish, just maybe prevent them from coming back.

stingythingy45
01/14/2008, 03:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11590076#post11590076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Siouxish
I've got a long-term, but minor case of ich that never seems to go away. Some fish have consistantly (tangs), while others don't seem to get it (angels). I've many various soft-corals and obviously can't treat the main tank with anything. No fish has ever died, but I can tell they are in discomfort plenty of the time.

I'm seriously considering removing all the fish to another tank treated with copper without the corals, and letting the main tank go fallow for a few months.

I've got many crabs, snails, starfish, etc. in the main tank. Should I keep these in the main fallow tank, or remove them to their own separate tank as well?

What are your thoughts?

You just need to move the inverts(fish)to a new tank.
Then leave the display(fallow)with no inverts for 6-8 weeks.
One thing you are going to want to do first is run something like an HOB filter for a while to collect some benificial bacteria.As the Hospital tank will need to cycle so you're not battling ammonia issues also.If you chose to go the copper route this will not be needed as the copper will kill all bacteria.I would try to get 2 tanks going if possible.One to do the copper treatment in and one for the fish to wait in while the tank runs fallow.As once you use copper in that tank it's really only good for a med tank IME.
Hypo seems to work pretty good,but I'm finding it takes a lot of patience.

bertoni
01/14/2008, 04:23 PM
You just need to move the inverts(fish)to a new tank.

I think you mean he should move the fish to a hospital tank? Fish are vertebrates.

hypernesia
01/14/2008, 05:07 PM
Cryptocaryon Irritans( ich) life cycle is 28 days. You only need 1 tank to move the fish to. Leave the main tank with all inverts and corals fallow for a minimum of 8-10 weeks. Seachem sells Cupramine (worked for me ) just follow the directions and you should be fine. Just check the water params every day for NH3 and NO2 and you should be fine.
With no hosts to latch on too and the ones that are free floating going through UV you should be in the clear... but don't put fish back in early as some people are tempted because the spots disappear wait the 8-10 weeks just to make sure!